Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Surprises and Disappointments

I ran some more errands this morning. I've been wanting to head to the dollar stores for some small items, but I only had the time for Family Dollar. I don't really like the Family Dollar on the White Horse Pike near my apartment, but I use it when I need to (read-when I can't get to the dollar stores in Westmont). It's not as well-organized as the lovely little Family Dollar in North Wildwood, and the staff is often churlish and usually doesn't seem to know what it's doing, behind the register or while stocking. I also had to stop at Doria's, a deli down the street from me, to pick up some Provalone cheese.

I stopped at the Oaklyn Library between Family Dollar and Doria's, since it's on the way. I shouldn't have been as disappointed as I was to discover the tiny, three-room library doesn't need help of any kind. No, they don't need more employees. No, they don't need volunteers. No, the director runs the children's programs, and she doesn't need help. Of course they don't need help. They're a tiny, small-town library that's not even attached to the Camden County Library System. They don't know me, other than my occasionally checking out books. Why would they want MY help?

Work was a bit better. It was steady in the afternoon, reletively quiet by the time I left, which was a bit earlier than I thought. I'd written down the end of my shift as 8:30PM, but it turned out to be at 8. Even the main schedule in the break room said so. Cool. Some mistakes aren't so bad.

No comments: