Monday, March 12, 2007

I'm Goin' To Disney World - In 1990

Just a quick note, since this was a rather quiet day, anyway. Work was fast, busy, and no problem. The nice day (and the end of cabin fever) probably put many people in a better frame of mind.

My night was taken up by a chat with my best friend Lauren and looking at these three facinating sites about Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Having never been to California, a picture book I had in the mid-80s and the Disneyland sites online are the closest I've ever gotten to visiting the former. As a Florida native, I've visited the latter twice with my sister, biological father, and (now late) stepmother, in 1986 and 1990.

I stopped going to Yesterland and Widen Your World, since they seemed to rarely be updated despite featuring a wealth of information. I went back to both tonight out of curiosity and discovered that, not only had both been updated recently and frequently, but discovered another site on defunct Walt Disney World attractions, Walt Dated World.

I have fond memories of both the '86 and '90 visits. I was disappointed to discover River Country no longer exists. My mom has some great shots we took of my sister and I goofing off on the slides and swimming hole there.

Images of '86 - Rain, rain, rain...Christmas decorations everywhere...plastic ponchoes over Mickey ears...getting my original Lady stuffed dog (my ex-boyfriend gave me another Lady in 2002)...the "Mission To Mars" ride...my sister chickening out at the last minute and not wanting to ride "Space Mountain" after waiting in a 20-minute line (I chickened out before we even hit the line)...running around in the bazaar area under the Mexico Pavillion in the World Showcase and making tons and tons of noise...

Images of '90 - My sister on horseback at Fort Wilderness...The Chip n' Dale Character Breakfast...waiting for Star Tours (and later realizing the ride had only been open for about a month when we went on - no wonder it was so busy)...River Country...finding a quiet place by the Mexico Pavillion in Epcot to see Illuminations with my biological father and getting caught in the crush going home afterwards...the pleasantly drowsy feeling I had on the Monorail going back from Epcot...the Broadway-style show at the (now covered) theater at Disney/MGM that fueled my growing interest in showtunes and classic movies...appearing as "Tess Trueheart" in a "Dick Tracy" video done for in a Disney/MGM shop (I still have the video)...my sister and I pretending to "drive" the golf cart my biological father rented to get around the sprawling Fort Wilderness...my sister and I going through Mr. Toad's Wild Ride together (one of the only rides we both liked - shame it's gone)...her addiction to 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (also gone - she's not gonna be happy about that)

No comments: