Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The First Robin Of Spring

It's so nice to see signs of spring everywhere. Robins flying on the breeze, laying their little blue speckled eggs. Dafodils and crocus popping up in gardens like colorful friends returning from a long trip. New green grass sprouting out of a soppy brown lawn. The squirrels chasing each other across my roof. People walking around in t-shirts, culottes, and sandals, mowing their lawns, cleaning their cars, working in their gardens, and taking out rugs to air or old furnature that needs to go to a thrift shop or the dump. After the winter lingered into March, I thought spring would NEVER stick around!

I did catch a mouse last night and took it out to the trash. If I don't catch any more before tomorrow, I'm going to assume they're gone. I have all of the pots and pans that were under my sink on the living room table, and they're taking up space.

I spent most of the morning beginning spring cleaning. I swept more mouse remains from the only other place I've seen them, the small cabinet between the stove and the sink I use for a mini-pantry. I took out my spring and summer clothes and put away most of the winter clothes. I didn't take out all of the summer clothes - I left some of the shorts and jean skirts in the bin. We're not quite there yet. If I end up needing warmer clothes, I'll just pull them back out and return them when the cold spell is over.

Unlike most people, who have to dig around in basements, attics, and garages for their seasonal clothing and items, all I have to do is go in the room in the back of the apartment. It's one of the reasons I took this place. It's so convient. No having to climb or descend steep steps. No smell of car exaust or mildew. The worst I have to do is duck my head on entering, as the door opening is kind of short. (I've seen quite a few stars on entering and exiting the back room!)

Work was, like yesterday, reletively quiet. Between the nice weather and this being the end of the month and between holidays, it'll likely stay quiet until this weekend, by which time I'll be off.

No comments: