Saturday, November 24, 2007

Christmases Come In All Shapes And Sizes

Watched the other two items I received from Linda today, the first Christmas episode of the 1970s Depression-set drama The Waltons, "The Best Christmas," and "Merry Christmas, Bogg" from the early 80s family action show Voyagers!. The Waltons, a Tennessee mountain Depression-era family, want to get together on Christmas Eve for a big family gathering, but a huge blizzard and various crises conspire to keep everyone apart. The entire family does finally make it home...and learns that even when families are apart, they're together.

I'd never seen or heard of the little-known, short-lived Voyagers!, which appears to be a family-oriented cross between MacGyver and Quantum Leap with a history bent. An orphan kid and a soldier of fortune travel across time, righting historic discrepancies and teaching the audience a little about the history of whatever time they're in on the way. In the holiday episode, they help George Washington right before the crossing of the Delaware and aid Samuel Gumphers in the beginning of the American Labor Movement. Exciting, fun, and original, I'm surprised this show didn't last longer but apparently was up against stiff competition, including 60 Minutes.

I headed to work after watching The Care Bears this morning. Work was steady-to-dead, and the lines were only backed up because we were still short on help, thanks to the holidays and scheduling snafus. They actually asked me to stay an extra hour...and I would have, if I hadn't worked so many hours earlier in the week. Turned out I'm at the limit for part-time workers and legally CAN'T work more hours this week!

I dusted my bedroom after I got home, which badly needed it. I usually just dust around the Star Wars action figures and the porcelain dolls and collectible bears on the top of the closets, but I actually did under them today...and boy, were they dusty! I can't remember the last time I cleaned under them. I'll do the living room/dining room area and put up the garlands tomorrow. The tree will go up Tuesday.

1 comment:

Tina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.