Saturday, November 17, 2007

Harvest Time

Went to the last Collingswood Farm Market of the season today (the first time I've gotten to the farm market in over a month). Pears are gone, but I bought mushrooms, celery, an onion, a green pepper, sweet potatoes that still have a "fresh from the earth" scent on them, and beautiful little apples. The honey booth, crepes mini-cafe, live music, and a few veggie booths were gone; in their place were several craft booths, though their wares were too expensive for me.

Stopped at the post office to get Christmas stamps; I have bills and holiday cards to mail. The line in the cramped little Oaklyn Post Office was almost out to the door when I arrived! The poor guy (and only guy) working said despite the time of year and the crowds on Saturdays, the post office apparently refuses to hire more help for that day! According to him, several people had already walked away. He's right; they are losing revenue. (I also checked out a church bazaar and a yard sale, but nothing interesting at either place.)

I wasn't surprised that work was very, very busy. People are starting to buy their Thanksgiving dinners this weekend (not to mention food to feed all the guests they'll have NEXT weekend). What DID surprise me was getting my break snack on the store for the second Saturday in a row. They were having a big chili cook-off for employees. No, I didn't join in; it's hard to carry a crock-pot on a bike. I did get to vote, t though, and sample not only the chili, but the cake, fruit, and dip that was also in the back room. (No, my choice didn't win. I was the last voter before they "closed the polls," though.)

I got up early this morning and was fairly tired by the time work ended...or didn't end. I stayed an extra half-hour. Once again, I need the money...but I am tired. I'm not entirely happy with next week's hours, either. Thanksgiving is my only day off, and I begin work at 8:30AM the day after...Black Friday, one of the quietest days of the year. Who wants to go grocery shopping the day after Thanksgiving? All the older women and mothers must have decided they wanted to hit the Black Friday sales for their kids and grandkids and requested the day or morning off.

Oh, and my WebKinz are both very happy. Not to be obvious, but Rosie Pony eats like a horse...and she eats a lot more than Miles! I may have to buy a second fridge just for her and put it in her room. ;)

2 comments:

Tina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma said...

Tina, I don't know how to get a picture of me up there. I don't have a scanner...or a recent picture of me, for that matter. :">