Sunday, November 09, 2008

Blue and Gold Autumn

After almost a week of clouds and showers, it was wonderful to awaken to a gorgeous, sunny fall morning. It was about 55 degrees, just right for this time of year, and while it was a bit windy, it wasn't gale-force. I had a lovely ride to work and a lovely ride home. Work was steady, though not as busy as yesterday. Even so, I managed to pick up an extra hour when one of the teenagers called out.

I'm still feeling a little down. I don't know what I'm going to do, with Christmas coming and all. I called Mom today for the usual catching-up, but she didn't help much. She was at home, making a pork shoulder. Dad was out fishing and Keefe was out with friends. I know she's lonely, but she turned down all my suggestions for ways to get out of the house and do something. (Do I do that, too?) Otherwise, she was in a good mood. She wanted to know what I'm doing for Thanksgiving. At this point, I have no idea. I won't know until Dad comes back and I can ask him what the family here is doing, what with Uncle Ken sick and all.

Even a walk around the neighborhood after work didn't help. It was no fault of the weather, or of the stunning multi-colored foliage. I feel pretty lonely myself. I know other people say they're having trouble, with this bad economy, but I've never met them. Everyone else has someone they can talk to who can relate to them. Someone who is always there, who will come home from work that night. I'm the only person my age in Oaklyn who always comes home to an empty house. I feel like I can't relate to anyone in town. It would be easier to talk to people if they were less busy, if they'd just say "sure, I'll come over to your house for an hour or two." If they didn't have the dog to walk, the children to take care of, errands to run, work to do.

And though they've fought hard, at press time the Philadelphia Eagles are losing to the New York Giants 30-24.

No comments: