Sunday, November 02, 2008

Out of the Loop

Sigh. Today was ultimately frustrating, though it ended well. I really wish I knew more people. I had earlier work than usual on a Sunday, but it was busy and went well. I was hoping to watch the 4:15 Eagles-Seahawks game at Uncle Ken's afterwards, but Uncle Ken is beginning treatments for a life-threatening disease tomorrow. He and Dolores were going out to watch the game instead, and no one else was around. That left me alone. Again.

Sometimes, being alone is no big deal, but there are just times when I want to be around people. Like today, for instance. I was looking forward to at least being able to talk to Mark, Uncle Ken, Dolores, and Jodie and share my Sweet Potato Spice Coffee Cake with them. I knew Uncle Ken has his treatments tomorrow, but I thought SOMEONE might be around.

Of course I was wrong. I'm always wrong. Frustrated, I went for a walk after I collapsed in my kitchen for a good long cry. It was a beautiful afternoon, a little nippy but not bad, and sunny as can be. Oaklyn and the Camden County Area are absolutely beautiful at this time of year. My porch is so full of golden leaves, I feel like I'm living in Uncle Scrooge's money bin. I followed the train tracks, just to see where they went. After a slightly nerve-wracking cross over the train bridge, I came out in West Collingswood. I passed by historic homes and apartment buildings and found myself at a nice park, where children played on a playground during what looked like the tail end of a birthday party (from all those Backyardigans balloons on the old Train Station building).

I just kept walking across a neighborhood filled with lovely old houses, down to the Black Horse Pike. I rarely come down that way, so it was a nice walk. I ended up back on Kendall Boulevard, then went home. I debated going out to eat, but it was getting late, and I really didn't want to watch the game in some noisy bar. I ended up listening to it on WIP Sports Radio while having a corn muffin and a messed-up spinach and mushroom omelet for dinner. (For some reason, the eggs stuck to the pan despite the application of much Pam. Good thing I wasn't that hungry anyway.)

Oh, and the Eagles apparently began badly but finally beat the Seahawks 26-7, which pushes them past the injury-plagued Cowboys and into third place in the NFC East, behind the Redskins and Daddy's beloved Giants (who did their part, walloping the Cowboys today).

No comments: