Friday, November 14, 2008

Getting to the Root of the Problem

Arrgh. I had my dentist's appointment late this morning. The scaling and cleaning went well...but that one molar on the lower right side is STILL sore. It's been sore for months. I was hoping it would only need to be bled until the swelling went down, but the ladies took photos, and it would seem it's infected. Again. After it was infected last spring. It doesn't hurt as much as it did last spring, thank goodness...but I still need a root canal. Even though the ladies in the dental office were nice enough to recommend a dentist who is on my insurance plan's listing, I still hate the idea of needing a root canal at all. I'm wondering if I should do it now or wait until after the holidays. I might not be able to get an appointment anyway, at this late date.

Actually, I'm just really mad at myself for needing a root canal at all. My teeth have NEVER been this bad. I've never needed this kind of surgery on anything. My eyes have gotten worse, too. Why don't I take better care of myself? Why did I wait seven years to get my eyes and teeth checked? Why didn't I just spend the money? Why did I put everything off? Why didn't the infection go away after the first time?

My financial situation is little better. I made enough to pay off the rest of my rent, but not my bills, and I barely have any left in the bank. I wish I knew more about how to handle money. I tried starting a savings account when I lived in Wildwood, but I never had anything to put in it, and it eventually closed. I haven't even bothered here. Why start a savings account when you never know what you're going to put in your checking account from week to week? My paycheck varies with my hours, making it very difficult to know how much to put away and how much to put in it from week to week. I'm wondering if there's someone at the bank whom I could ask for advice about how to handle money when I don't have a lot of it. Everyone I know is either retired or broke themselves (Mom's always complaining about how Dad spends his money the moment he gets it).

My errands didn't go that well, either. I went to FYE to see if they had The Chronological Donald, Vol 4 on the strange chance I actually get the money to buy it. Nope, they either never got it, or it sold out. They didn't have any of the new Treasures sets at all. I'm so disappointed. That FYE's always had such a good selection. I was sure they'd get the Treasures sets! Maybe there was a mix-up with shipping similar to the one that delayed the arrival of The Sword In the Stone in June.

The weather didn't even cooperate. It rained all day, a fine, misty rain that did no more than make me damp, but was still annoying. It misted all during my dental appointment, during my walk home, and while I was running to the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. The mist didn't stop completely until I was on my way down the White Horse Pike to the bank to drop off my paycheck, WaWa for milk, and Doria's Deli for turkey lunchmeat. It hasn't rained since, which I hope bodes well for tomorrow. Yahoo!Weather says we're supposed to get thundershowers, then get very cold on Sunday...and maybe even get snow on Tuesday!

I even burned the gingerbread cookies I made with the Limited Edition Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cookie Mix that came out last week. I made those all last holiday season and was looking forward to seeing them again.

No comments: