Friday, November 07, 2008

Economic Crisis

Today turned out to be as bland as the gloomy, gray weather. I spent the morning running errands at the Acme and in the shopping center behind it. I stopped briefly at FYE to see if they had any of the new WebKinz (nope) before moving on to Wal-Mart. I looked at coats and jeans but only ended up getting a new bra for me (which I really needed) and a hat and gloves for my brother Keefe's birthday on November 18th. He told me he wanted a "beanie," and I'm not exactly sure what he meant, but I hope he meant a beanie-type hat. People always need winter hats, and I know Keefe has a tendency to lose his.

I made quick stops after that at Avenue and Fashion Bug to look at their winter coats. They were having great sales, but I couldn't find any coats to my liking. They were either too heavy, not waterproof, or lacking a hood. I went to the Acme to do my grocery shopping for the week. Even with a couple of good sales (and one box of Fiber One Granola Bars that accidentally came out to $.30 instead of $3.00, and thanks to the person who made THAT mistake), I still spent $27.

I don't have much money right now. I still haven't paid my rent. My landlady Miss Ellie is really cool about it, but I don't want to push her generosity. I'll give her what I can and just tell her I'll give her the rest when I get it. I know I should just as Dad or Uncle Ken for help, but I hate having to do that. It's a matter of pride. I'm very proud of being able to live on my own, especially having spent my childhood being told I'd never be able to do that. I cherish my independence, which is why I have such a hard time with asking for help. I'd rather do something myself. Anyway, this is my own fault. If I'd saved my money, instead of buying junk and DVDs all the time, I'd have some now.

After I got in and put everything away, I went for a walk to the bank to deposit my paycheck and to WaWa for milk. It didn't rain again, but the day remained blah, damp, and chilly. Even running into a rare Friday yard sale across from the Acme and picking up three calico fabric pumpkins and a dress for my Cabbage Patch Kid Dulcie didn't improve my mood. I'm really angry with myself over not saving more money and getting off my rear end and meeting people who can point me in the direction of a good, solid job.

I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning. I just vacuumed the house, changed the sheets, and did some mild dusting. I'll get more into the cleaning at the end of this month, before I put up Christmas decorations. I made a beef quesildilla and spinach salad for dinner and listened to Joe Cocker and Led Zepplin.

No comments: