Monday, November 03, 2008

Of Mice, Backyardigans, and the Quest for Balance

Began today with this week's Yogawood class. It was cloudy, cool, and damp when I went out this morning, though not as cool as yesterday. It was a mid-sized class, not really big or small. A lot of people are probably busy with things put off over the busy weekend or rallies for one political candidate or the other.

(Which reminds me, allow me to say right here that I'm neutral. I'm not endorsing one candidate or the other. I have no interest in politics whatsoever.)

I wish I were better with balance. I still can't stand on one foot for very long, especially on the right side. I still can't go upside-down, either. I guess my shoulders just aren't strong enough. I also lack control. I can't lower myself to the floor without flopping.

I went straight home after class. I went straight over to Uncle Ken's after I got in for this week's laundry session. I had the house to myself, a rare thing. Dad's still on the ocean, Uncle Ken and Dolores had doctor's appointments, Jodie was at work, and Jessa was at school. I watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while the laundry was in the washer. Mickey and the gang spoofed fairy tales today. Poor Donald accidentally drinks a potion made by Professor Ludwig Von Drake that turns him into a frog. In order to change him back, they have to take him to Princess Daisy, who is being held in a tall tower by Big Pete. I especially loved how they had to talk Daisy into kissing Donald at the end. (She wouldn't kiss a frog! Eeewww!)

After I tossed the laundry in the dryer, I switched over to Nickelodeon for The Backyardigans. Turned out to be one of the new episodes, "Blazing Paddles." The show's third or fourth (I believe) Western-themed episode is a parody of Lone Ranger-style oaters. Sheriff Uniqua is the law in peaceful Ping Pong Mesa, where everyone, including bartender Tyrone, dance hall hostess Miss Tasha, and bar patron Austin the Kid are crazy about ping-pong. No one can out-play the Sheriff...until Pablo the Ping Pong Bandit rides into town with his crazy Bandit SlamIt move! The kids all lose their paddles to Pablo. Even Uniqua can't get past it, and she finds herself stripped of her paddle and out of a job. She vows to find a way to practice until she's can come up with a move of her own that will defeat Pablo and teach him that no Backyardigan is an island...and it's no fun playing ping-pong alone.

I finally made it to the bank after The Backyardigans ended. I'd been meaning to get to the bank all weekend, but I never had the chance. The weather had warmed up a little, maybe slightly too much so for this time of year but not that bad. The neighborhood was really beautiful. The trees are amazing this year, bursting into every shade of fall color imaginable, from soft gold to blazing orange-red. The clouds subsided at one point, but they came back a bit later, and it's been cloudy ever since.

I got back in time for the first half of The Wonder Pets. Everyone's favorite trio of animal rescuers headed for the Swiss Alps to save a group of sheep from going off a cliff. There was some fun with the setting, including lederhosen for everyone and a cute reference to The Sound of Music. (And let's just say seeing a hamster, a turtle, and a very excitable chick in lederhosen was...interesting.)

It didn't take very long to get ready for work after I finished off the laundry, brought it home, and put it away. I just had to throw together celery and a ham and spinach sandwich for dinner and change into my uniform, then it was off to the Acme. Work was, other than some mildly annoying beginning-of-the-month people, not a problem, and I was in and out without a fuss.

1 comment:

Tina said...

You may be neutral, but I hope you're exercising your right to vote!