Sunday, February 08, 2009

Burned

Did a lot of cooking today, mostly trying more recipes in that Fast Food Fix cookbook. I made a low-fat, egg-white version of Burger King's French Toast Sticks this morning, mostly to get rid of some French Bread that was getting old and dry. It called to cook them with melted butter, but I'm not used to using real butter (I usually use cooking spray) and ended up burning them. They tasted good enough and were easy enough to make that I'll probably make them again the next time I have bread to get rid of...this time, using butter spray or butter-flavored cooking spray.

Rose called while I was eating my French Toast Sticks and a half of grapefruit. She said she can't do Yogawood tomorrow, something about her boyfriend needing her car, but would be up for Wednesday. That's perfectly fine with me. I don't work on Wednesday until 3PM. I tried calling Mom right after I got off with Rose, but got a busy signal. Mom called ME back a little later - turns out Rose called her right after she called me! Mom's fine. She's VERY happy to have heard from Rose. Both seem to be in much better moods. Mom's annoyed with Dad not exercising (no news there) and isn't looking forward to Anny's custody hearing with her boyfriend this week.

It was an absolutely gorgeous, ridiculously warm day for mid-February, almost 50 and sunny as can be. Every last bit of the snow was gone by the time I headed out for work. It was also really, really windy, which made for an interesting ride to and from work. Work, by the way, was busy all day. It always is on Sundays, even outside of football season. Sunday is the only day a lot of people have to go shopping. My relief was late, but otherwise, there were no problems.

I baked Subway's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies after work, replacing the raisins with dark chocolate chips (I don't have raisins - they're expensive, and I prefer the cranberry kind anyway). The cookies themselves came out quite nicely, soft and nutty, but I made a mess baking them. I burned the back of my lower right arm when I was putting the last pan on the dining area table to cool. That HURT! There's a nice welt line on my arm now. And when I sat down to sample one, I forgot about the melted chocolate chip that fell on my seat. Good thing I was going to do the laundry tomorrow anyway, because now I have chocolate chip all over the back of my work pants.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Emma, you could try baking with Smart Balance. James uses this in his cooking. It has no trans-fats and melts like real butter, not like those other vegetable spreads where there's a glop of nasty-looking vegetable fat and water. It was recommended by Cooks Illustrated magazine.