Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Penny A Day

I slept in a little bit this morning, waking up just in time for Strawberry Shortcake. Strawberry was a repeat, the episode about Peppermint Fizz not liking Rainbow Sherbet because she's so different, but I hadn't see this week's Care Bears installment before. In the first one, Grizzle the evil (but not that bright) Mechanical Bear hits the bears with a machine that makes them forget everything...including what he wants them to remember. The second one was a bit more sentimental. MacKenzie, a human child friend of the Care Bears, visits them in an attempt to cheer herself up after her best friend moves away. She comes just in time for the arrival of another set of friends who don't stick around - the Thunder Whales. She befriends a baby Thunder Whale when she gets him unstuck from a tree, but learns a lesson about friends moving on when he has to leave.

It was a gorgeous, sunny late February day. The pale blue sky was cloudless, it was cold but not bitterly so, and while it was still a little windy, it was nothing like the past few days. I walked to the PNC Bank branch on the White Horse Pike quite easily and without getting blown over.

I did get a savings account. Turns out the lady who does their savings accounts used to live in North Cape May and says her parents still do. She even went to Lower Cape May Regional High School, where Keefe goes now, ten years before me. I got the most basic savings account I could. Apparently, I can keep it open for a year. If I don't have $400 in the account by this time next year, I can close it. We'll see what happens.

After lunch and a few more Garfield and Friends episodes, I headed out again, this time in the direction of the Acme and the Audubon Commons Shopping Center. My first stop was Wal Mart, where I braved the crowds and discovered that, not only is their bike selection actually better than Target's (despite being a smaller store), they had the bike tools I was looking for on Thursday! I'll fix the handlebars on my mountain bike tomorrow. (Still no baskets, though...)

Ended up at FYE next. I was a good girl and limited my spending to the WebKinz Emperor Dragon, which I'd wanted, and the 1969 Barbara Streisand Hello Dolly!, which was on sale for $6.99. Last year, I spent more than $100 at FYE on two WebKinz, five DVDs, and the Membership Card after I got my tax return.

I had a fairly long grocery shopping list for me today, anyway. I wanted to stock up on some pantry items - barbecue sauce, mustard, salad dressing - along with restocking my fruit, vegetables, and yogurt, and taking advantage of a half-price sale on chicken and ground turkey.

Oh, and meet Bruce Lee, my Emperor Dragon! The regal co-owner of the Kinzville Asian Cuisine House (with Marza the Panda) is named for the famous 70s martial arts star. His money will finish off the new Movie Theater and at least get a little in for the Asian Cuisine House.

No comments: