Friday, February 13, 2009

If I Were A Rich Woman

In good news, my tax return arrived today, all $1,047 of it. I also got my paycheck today. I'm thinking of putting most of my paycheck in a COD (Certificate of Deposit) and just depositing the tax return check in the bank. I really need the money. I need to pay the dentist, pay off the rest of my rent, pay my bills, replace the Victrola record/CD/cassette player with a simpler CD/cassette player (I've already replaced the record player), and buy small things I need like socks and underwear.

Spent the rest of the morning vacuuming. It doesn't take me very long to vacuum. This apartment is big, but not THAT big. I doubt I'll get to the dusting until Monday, though.

Work was a pain in the rear. Just as I figured, everyone was waiting for the holiday weekend to do their shopping. It was busy all day, even after I finished at 5:30, and we didn't have nearly enough help up front. The lines were crazy, and I was flustered and easily upset.

A customer mentioned there were a lot of really good sales on this weekend, which would explain the crowds. She was right. I did grocery shopping of my own after work and found a 1lB bag of Macintosh apples for $1.99. That's at least three dollars cheaper than buying them individually would be! I also picked up chicken, small chuck beef steaks, ground turkey, bananas, grapefruit, oranges, Breyers Light yogurt, Smart Balance butter, and Betty Crocker Spice cake mix.

I was even able to treat myself to two little Valentine's presents to myself after my long day. The Acme has already slashed the prices on its Valentine's items, including baking products. I grabbed a heart-shaped grip cookie cutter like the gingerbread man-shaped one Mom gave me around New Year's for $1.59. I also found the original cast of the Broadway version of The Full Monty for $6.99 in a bargain books and CD bin.

My bike is giving me trouble, too. The handlebars are coming loose again. Of course, the heavy load I carried home tonight didn't exactly help. I really need to get actual bike tools, something else on my short list of things I want to buy with my tax return. I'll talk to my neighbor tomorrow.

No comments: