Friday, May 22, 2009

Focusing On Balance

Started today with Yogawood. I was having a really hard time focusing. Even my classmates noticed it; one kindly mentioned it after class. I was up late last night, and the events of the day before and my own troubles with work were still on my mind. Besides, I've never been especially good at focusing on the present. My mind always wants to wander, no matter how hard I stare at a certain spot.

I went home and decided to try something. I wanted to make a coffee cake for breakfast tomorrow and Memorial Day Monday (which I figured - correctly, as it turned out - I'd be working early). I love the many variations on the simple coffee cake recipe in the Betty Crocker Cookbook, but ol' Betty was cooking in the 50s, which means her coffee cake is loaded with sugar and shortening. I cut the sugar down to a half a cup and replaced the shortening with canola oil and mashed banana (I had two that were getting really ripe) and used Smart Balance Butter Blend for the topping instead of regular butter. Came out very moist and quite nice; added a bit of vanilla, too.

Work was very busy, not unexpected on Memorial Day Weekend. It generally went better than yesterday, except for one very obnoxious young man and his even more obnoxious mother. I'm wondering if she was quite "right" in the head, or maybe she was just angry. She barked at everyone, yelled at him, and spat at the poor customer behind her. He wouldn't write out her check (I don't know why he couldn't do it if she couldn't - his brain was working), and then it turned out the company that cashes our check rejected their check anyway, and of course, they didn't have any other form of payment on them. We voided their order, and they left with nothing but their nasty mouths.

(And a reminder, folks, ALWAYS bring two forms of payment when you go out shopping. You never know when you won't have enough money or your credit card won't work.)

No comments: