Friday, May 08, 2009

Sunshine Balance

I awoke to sunlight streaming through my windows for the first time in almost a week. The sky was blue and the breeze was mild. Perfect day for heading to yoga class. Despite the nice weather, the class was fairly small, seven people including the teacher Micki. We did a lot of work on balancing today. I'm better at it than I used to be, but I'm not agile enough to stretch my leg all the way or pull it back and grab my ankle.

Made a very quick stop at the Collingswood WaWa for milk (a half-gallon of skim milk is still cheaper there than at the Acme) after class, then rode home.

Spent a couple of hours watching Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian and eating Crab and Asparagus Pie and an apple for lunch. Prince Caspian is the follow-up, both in the book series and movies, to Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. This movie isn't quite as faithful to the book as the first. Prince Caspian is much older (if memory serves me correctly, he's a kid in the books) and flirts with Susan, the eldest girl, and the war and battle scenes are elaborated on. I didn't have much problem with the action sequences, which I thought were quite well-staged (the defense of the temple was a stunner), but the age thing just seemed silly and injected purely for the teen girl market.

I ran a few errands at Wal-Mart and the Acme after lunch. I was in Wal-Mart for contact lens solution and was in and out. Just as well. It was busy as heck. The Acme was better. The lines weren't too bad, and I didn't need much anyway. Got grapefruit, bananas, yogurt, granola bars I had a coupon for, chicken breasts, cubed steaks, and Smart Balance Butter Blend (also with a coupon).

After I got home and put everything away, I went back out again, this time on foot to the bank. It was such a nice day by then. The sky was blue, the wind was still nice, and the sun felt wonderful after nearly a week of rain. Not surprisingly, many people were outside, tending to overgrown lawns, cleaning out their cars, or taking their children or dogs for a walk. It was so nice, I headed down the street to the Oaklyn WaWa when I left the bank and treated myself to a Raspberry-Chocolate Coke Zero from the soda fountain with the flavored syrups.

Grabbed my broom and swept the porch when I got back. I've been wanting to do that for weeks, but it's either been too wet, too cold, or I've been too busy. The porch looked HORRIBLE, covered with bits of new leaves and tons of fuzzy seed pods. I normally wait until the "fuzzies" finish coming down to sweep the porch, but it looked so grubby, it had to be done. I think it may be attracting ants, too.

The rest of the afternoon was passed quietly, working on editing the Monkees role-play, making baked barbecue chicken legs, honey-glazed carrots with pecans, and spinach-radish salad for dinner, and watching Alice Adams. Though this tale of a social-climbing young woman who pushes her father for a better job when a local rich boy notices was written as a comedy, it plays more like drama today. Katherine Hepburn as the silly daughter and Fred Stone as her sweet father are the stand-outs amid the dated and rather melodramatic surroundings. (The whole thing was at least somewhat plausible up through the whole deal with the father's glue factory.)

No comments: