Friday, May 29, 2009

Working Balance

Yoga class was the smallest I'd ever attended this morning. There were just three people there, me, the very flexible fellow who seems to work as a handyman there as well, and a new teacher, Melissa, who was in for Micki. Melissa was bright, plump, sweet, and willing to put us through our paces. I worked very hard, and both Melissa and Eric had kind words for me after class.

I was a little surprised it was so dead. The weather was cloudy but warm and humid. By the time I'd gotten home, the sun was even coming out. There was a call from Sue, the head front end manager at the Acme, waiting for me when I got in. Could I come in at 11:30 instead of 2:30? There was a call-out. No, I couldn't come in at 11:30. I'd only arrived around quarter of 11! It ended up being 12:45, enough time for me to make a small batch of Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies, eat lunch, change, and get dinner together.

Work was mostly steady, but there were some problems. First of all, the Acme is in the midst of rearranging many aisles. Even we don't know where some items are, much less our customers. Second, some of the older women were getting on my nerves. One got angry when I forgot to double-bag her items and she thought I made them too heavy. There was confusion when I finished, too. A manager told me to stay until one more cashier came back from break, and then she opened a register anyway.

I wasn't feeling too happy at that point, and I only felt worse later when I finished my own grocery shopping and had to go back for the buttermilk I'd left with the yogurt. I forgot to give the bagger and cashier my cloth bags, and they bagged them all in plastic and we had to re-bag them. I hate holding up lines, on either end. It makes me feel guilty, no matter how much people claim they're not in a hurry. I did finally walk out with yogurt, apples, the buttermilk, granola bars that were on a really good this-weekend-only sale (and that I had a coupon for), and things to make another pudding pie for Jessa's graduation party tomorrow.

No comments: