Monday, May 04, 2009

The Rain, the Pie, and Other Things

I slept in and didn't get much done today. Had a quick, late breakfast and did some baking. I tried a recipe from my Breakfast and Brunch cookbook for a Crab-Asparagus Pie that's really more of a crust-less quiche. I'd been wanting to use the can of crab meat Dad gave me when I was visiting Erma on my birthday for a while now, and this looked easy and tasty. (I'd actually wanted to make it last night, but then I was asked out to dinner.) You layer crab, asparagus, and originally onion, but I used leeks, then layer cheese and pepper. The last layer is flour, butter, salt, baking powder, and milk. Bake for a half-hour, and voila! Instant quiche without all that messy crust. It was delicious.

Not that I would have been able to do much besides bake anyway. The steady rain we've had on and off for the last few days continued. It slowed down enough that I was able to ride my bike to and from work, but it's showering again as I speak. As for work, it was slightly less busy than yesterday, which is to say, the lines weren't all the way down the aisles. Rush hour was the worst, and it didn't help that the rain and the beginning of the month had put a couple of people in foul moods (not to mention us being out of the Poland Spring Water 24 pack that's on a big sale this week).

No comments: