Friday, January 15, 2010

As We Go Along

I did manage to get to the Haddon Township Library late this morning. There were plenty of DVDs to put away, adult and kids', and I organized the rock and vocal CDs, too. Found quite a few CDs to take out as well - Five For Fighting, The Very Best of Burt Bacharach, Diana Krall, Frank Sinatra, and Rod Stewart's second The Great American Songbook collection. (I've heard his duet with Cher on "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" at the Acme and loved it.) Also took out two books on job-hunting. It's time to start doing that again.

Stopped at Super Fresh on the way home. They were having 2 for $3 a sale on Asian Green Tea. I needed fresh bunched carrots again, too. They also have better prices on leeks. They were having a sale on Brussels sprouts as well, so I picked up those there.

Rode home in gorgeous weather. This was the nicest day we've had since New Year's Day, into the mid-upper 40s, partly sunny, and breezy but not gale-force winds. It at least melted some of the remaining ice piles from the pre-Christmas blizzard and made that icy spot around Goff Avenue a lot easier to get around.

I did, indeed, take the bike to the Acme after I finished my peanut-butter-and-cranberry-pear-butter sandwich lunch. I needed to pick up my paycheck before I headed behind the front building to the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center and America's Best for my eye exam. The Acme was, thankfully, steady but not really all that busy. (Not that different from yesterday, actually.)

The eye exam went pretty well. It was the same as last time. I sat in the plain but clean waiting area while the doctor finished with the previous exam. It was the same as 2008 - white walls, metal seats, no signs or pictures - with the exception of the TV showing advertisements for some fancy new type of lenses.

After all the usual tests, the doctor discerned that my eyes had changed a little bit since the last time I was there, and I needed a slight different prescription than last time. It should take me about a week to get my new contacts. They were really nice about everything, including the payment.

Made a quick stop back at the Acme next to go grocery shopping. I didn't really need much this time around. I just picked up apples (Galas were on sale), bananas, oranges, yogurt, fish, grits, cooking spray, and baking cocoa. It all came to exactly $19.99 - the first time that had apparently ever happened to Patrice, my cashier (who is normally a stocker, but they must have needed extra help up front). She noted it on my receipt and everything.

I rode home. I was just going to dust the apartment after I put my groceries away, but it was such a nice day, I couldn't bring myself to hang out inside. I made a quick sunset run to the bank instead and deposited what was left of my paycheck after paying for the eye exam. It was a nice walk, too, the (comparatively) warm day illuminated by the warm purple-and-gold glow of the oncoming twilight.

Spent the rest of the evening baking a Peanut Butter Cake from that Prevention cookbook and watching Monkees concerts and other related items. I like that series of music videos the four made for their 1997 CD JustUs. They were really cute, and in some ways, better than the hour-long special they did that same year.

No comments: