Monday, January 25, 2010

Raging Storm

All of Camden County awoke to a massive storm this morning. Lashing rain and 50-mile-an-hour winds flooded low-lying areas and downed branches all over the area. My porch was already covered with small and large branches at quarter of 8. It was very, very warm and humid, too, probably in the 60s, too warm and too humid for this time of year.

I was originally going to do the laundry today, but I ended up staying inside and messing around online. I just didn't trust the weather. It remained bad through about noon. At one point, the lights flickered and the internet went down briefly. Twenty minutes later, a small but very thick and heavy branch hit the roof over my head and sounded like an atomic bomb, scaring me half to death!

I got some pilates in, but even after the actual rain stopped around 1, I still didn't trust the wind, the debris, or the rising tide. I called Dad for a ride to work.

Work was, at it turned out, dead for most of the night. It was steady around the usual 4-6 rush hour time, but that was it, and even that could have been worse.

I did a few things in the yard when I got home. I cleared out the larger branches that had fallen (and that I could see in the dark), righted my bike and pulled the sodden bike cover back on it, and chased after my trash cans.

I also remembered I needed to take out the recycling tonight. Miss Ellie was coming home just as I was heading for the curb with the blue recycling canister. I wonder what she was doing out late? She's usually home by now. Maybe she was visiting relatives, or she had late work.

No comments: