Sunday, January 31, 2010

No Business Like Snow Business

We got lucky. The northern Camden County area only received about six inches of snow all together. A lot of that was already melting by the time I was up and about, thanks to the sunny skies and mid-30s temperatures. I put on the Brunch With the Beatles show (the US-only album "Hey Jude: The Beatles Again" was the theme today) and made French Toast with the last of the whole wheat baguette and half a grapefruit for breakfast.

I had time for a nice, long call with Mom after I ate. Cape May County got a LOT more snow than we did, at least 9 to 10 inches in some places. Dad was out shoveling snow when we were on the phone. Keefe, Anny, and Skylar had come up here to visit Rose and deliver baby things that Anny no longer needed. Mom was working on the computer. We talked about crocheting, and she recommended some yarn sites with good crochet patterns.

Called Rose after I finally finished with Mom. I was hoping I could join them at the Camden Aquarium today. Alas, I worked too early. I told her to tell everyone I said "hi." Sigh. Someday, I'll have a real job where I get to have weekends off and actually do fun things with people.

The pair of pants I bought from Fashion Bug for work proved to be as much of a pain in the rear as the other pair. They were still way too tight, and the flares on the cuffs were ridiculous. Didn't they retire bell bottoms after about 1971 or so? They were dangerous, too. I got my big toe caught in one of the cuffs and pulled it so hard, it's still sore. I think I may have strained it or sprained it.

And of course, the chain on my bike came off about half-way to work. I was very close to being late. This wasn't a good thing at all. It was even busier today than yesterday, with long lines snaking around the store. Thankfully, once again, there were no problems (other than standing on a sore toe), and my relief was on time. One of the teenage boy stock clerks was even nice enough to help me get the chain back on my bike so I wouldn't have to walk on my darn toe going home. My steps were a little icy when I finally got in, but not too bad.

My toe is now elevated on a pillow and a crate. I had it on ice a while ago, so it's a bit numb. I was able to walk on it, but it is still pretty sore.

Oh, and Lauren and I are starting our next Monkees role-play story, a quiet vacation tale. Look for it by Valentine's Day!

No comments: