Friday, January 08, 2010

Balancing On Asphalt

I was right about the snow. We only got an inch or two. Though it did stick, it wasn't nearly as much of a problem as the past two weeks. I was able to ride my bike to Collingswood for my first Yogawood session since before Christmas with no trouble at all, not even traffic. There was a little snow on Manor, but the main roads were perfectly clear.

The state of the roads were indicated by the fact that the class was fairly full, 12 people counting the teacher, Micki. Working on balance was the order of the day. We concentrated on one-footed poses and twists, the kind of thing my stepfather would describe as "pretzel" poses. Naturally, I couldn't really do most of this. My knee isn't up to pretzels, and my balance is terrible. I just could not stay on one foot.

Ran a few errands in Collingswood that I've been putting off after class. Stopped at Genesis Counseling to try to get a hold of Scott; left him a message. Dropped donations off at the thrift shop. Did this week's Collingswood Library volunteering. I just organized DVDs there. The young man who is in charge of the volunteers wasn't around, and I don't think the librarian who was there really knew what to do with me.

I got home around noon, just in time to watch the last few Get Smart episodes, have lunch, and head back out. Picked up my paycheck at the Acme and did this week's grocery shopping. Needed fruit, greens, sugar (brown and white), butter, Acme's generic Cheerios (which were on a really good sale), oats, two containers of the Yoplait yogurt on sale, and ground turkey.

Headed straight home after my shopping was done. It was still incredibly windy, but not nearly as cold as it has been. In fact, most of the snow had disappeared by the time I arrived at the apartment and started this month's cleaning. I got the bathroom and the kitchen in. The kitchen in particular needed it, after all the baking I did last month.

After I finished cleaning, I made pumpkin muffins to get rid of the pumpkin leftover from last month's Christmas baking. Ran Feasting On Asphalt: The River Run while eating steak, honey-glazed carrots, pumpkin muffins, and applesauce for dinner. This time, instead of going from east to west, Alton Brown and company go from south to north, following the Mississippi River from the Louisiana bayous to the lakes of Minnesota in search of some back-roads Good Eats. My favorite by far was the Mississippi woman who made those mile-high pies; I think she's my new hero.

No comments: