Saturday, January 23, 2010

Winter Doldrums

I'm bored. I'm so bored. I can't get into anything - not work, not movies, not writing, not anything. Nothing's any fun. Nothing's going on. I'm gaining weight, no matter how hard I try. I don't know how to shake myself out of this funk. There has to be something wrong. I just don't know what yet.

Work was busy all day, not helped by a mix-up with two cashiers who had switched their times and left earlier than they were supposed to. I can't even figure out why we were so busy. I guess it was the sales. There's no major sports games this weekend, the next big holiday is in mid-February, and there's really nothing else going on.

After leaving work, I headed over to America's Best for my contacts. I ended up doing my follow-up exam to check the new prescription. Turns out that yes, my eyes have gotten slightly worse (despite my mother's claim that they should have stabilized by now). I'll go back at the end of next week for the rest of them if I like how the new prescription works.

Made a brief stop at FYE after America's Best, but I didn't see anything I wanted, so I just headed home. Thank goodness it was a lovely January day, sunny and in the lower 40s. My rides to and from work were quite pleasant.

Like I mentioned above, I've been gaining weight again. All the overeating I've done over the holidays and in the last few weeks hasn't helped. I thought I'd try stepping up my work-outs again. I did pilates for the first time in years this evening, using the DVD Rose gave me in 2007. I found out that I can't breathe right, have poor control over my body, and can't raise myself for stomach crunches of any kind. I'm just too fat.

After I finished my workout, I had dinner and put on Sweet Smell of Success. Like The Misfits and Asphalt Jungle, this isn't the kind of movie that I'd buy, but is said to be worth seeing at least once...and it is. Slick press agent Sidney Falco (Tony Curtis) moves through New York's seamy underbelly, trying to get under the skin of powerful, equally immoral newspaper columnist J.J Huntsinger (Burt Lancaster)...but their lies and deceitfulness eventually leads both to tragedy. Not the most fun movie to watch, but a suburb cast and Elmer Bernstein's jazz score make the most of a taught, tough script and Elmer Bernstein's nervous jazz score.

No comments: