Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Changing Plans

Today didn't go at all like I'd hoped. I got to Uncle Ken's around 10:30 to do the laundry, but Uncle Ken and Dolores already had laundry in the dryer. I had to wait at least an hour and a half before I could get mine in. I spent that time reading the new Daisy Dalyrumple mystery, Sheer Folly. (Very intriguing description of the architectural "folly" itself, a grotto, but a lot of the regular characters are missed, and some of the ones here seem like 20s stereotypes plucked from an Agatha Christie mystery.)

I went to the library after finally getting the laundry in the dryer. I had a LOT of laundry today. All of my socks were in the laundry, along with towels pulled after I cleaned the bathroom. (My last pair of unused socks had holes in them and had to be tossed. I ended up wearing heavy fur-lined clogs today that I can get away with going sock-less in.)

The kids were leaving their Story Hour just as I was arriving. They were so cute. Some even waved to me. I spent the rest of my hour after they left organizing the DVD's. Worked on the children's books for a while as well.

Alas, the laundry still wasn't anywhere close to dry when I got home around 1:30...and it wasn't all the way dry by almost 2, either. I was getting impatient. My original plans were to eventually get to the Haddon Township Library and volunteer there today, so I just grabbed the laundry, some of it still damp, and hurried home.

However, by the time I'd put away the dry laundry, hung up the damp laundry, and had lunch, I just wasn't up for the rush. I spent another twenty minutes debating whether or not to ride to the library before deciding that quarter of 3 was just too late to be running anywhere on the bike. I did go for a walk to WaWa later for milk and a chai tea (tasted faintly of lemon, but it was way too sweet) as the sun was setting, but I spent the majority of the rest of the evening making the bed, shaking out rugs, and vacuuming the apartment.

Watched a Monkees concert from 2001 that Lauren sent me years ago while throwing together a stir-fry made of all the of the leftovers in my fridge (and that Hickory Farms-esque stick of sort-of sausage I got for Christmas). Alas, Mike Nesmith had abandoned the show by then (something about him not wanting to tour), but Micky Dolenz, Peter Tork, and Davy Jones were still very much in evidence. Micky in particular had fun - loved his "Goin' Down" - and the three are as amusingly hammy as ever. Shame I heard Peter Tork, too, dropped out not long after this, and the Monkees haven't really gotten along since. When they're together, something magic happens...when they aren't realizing that their opposite personalities don't really gel too well without the calming effect of a major backer.

No comments: