Saturday, January 09, 2010

Not For the Life Of Me

Spent the morning watching Feasting On Asphalt. Alton and his crew are now in the Midwest, honoring Popeye's creator by eating canned spinach and digging around St. Louis for the best donuts. I also updated my finances; I'm hoping to put more of a dent in that dentist's bill soon.

Work was, thankfully, busy but not a problem. Everyone was in a pretty decent mood, and the day went incredibly fast. I had no relief, but it was slowing down a little by the end of my shift at 5. I was able to get off, grab mushrooms and canned beans, and head out.

I need new contacts, but it's been over a year since I started wearing them, and America's Best wanted to give me an exam before I got another pair. That's fine. I rode over to the America's Best next to Staples after work and agreed to come in at 2:45 on Friday, which is one of my two days off this week.

FYE was having a $9.99 sale on CDs. I don't care that everyone says "download everything" and "don't buy anything hard copy anymore." How impractical and silly can you get? What if all that downloaded stuff is infected with viruses? Or you accidentally delete it? Or your computer crashes? I've had all that happen at one time or another. I don't believe in putting all your eggs in one basket...or all your faith in imperfect technology. I bought the cast album to the 2002 Broadway Thoroughly Modern Millie. I figured this was a great opportunity to buy some of those pricy Broadway cast albums I've always wanted, but could never afford.

Had dinner at Fat Jack's Barbecue. I overheard them mention that collard greens and green beans are still on the menu, just not the printed one. I ordered collard greens and a pulled pork sandwich while watching the Jets-Bengals game. (Which the Jets won, incidentally, 24-14.) The sandwich was excellent...but the collards were waaaayyyy too spicy! I didn't remember them turning on the heat before! One of the boys behind the counter told me they'd changed their recipe. Not for the better; I couldn't finish even half, and my mouth was on fire, even after drinking a whole bottle of water.

The Eagles-Cowboys game is tonight, too. I hope they do well, if only to hush everyone around here after last week's game went so badly.

No comments: