Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Baby Mine

I slept in again. Started the day with a run to the Haddon Township Library. Normally, I'd start with the laundry. Jodie invited me over later in the day, though, and I'd heard it was supposed to rain in the afternoon, too. It was so late by the time I got over to Westmont, about noon, that I didn't have the chance to do much of anything. I browsed in Super Fresh, looking for more magic erasers, but I couldn't find them. The library was fairly busy - I just put away DVDs and Easy Readers. Didn't have the time to take anything out.

I rode straight home via Newton River Park. It had been cold, damp, and cloudy all day, and it was getting worse by the time I rolled in, around quarter of 2. I had a quick lunch of celery sticks, peanut butter, an apple, and a wrap with honey, then headed for Dad and Uncle Ken's house.

Everyone at Dad's is on vacation this week and next week. Uncle Ken and Dolores have been in Texas for the past few weeks and will be there for another few weeks. Dad is doing a cruise ship job and taking a fire-fighting course across the country. It was quiet when I rolled in. I got my laundry started and finished the newest Maisie Dobbs book, The Mapping of Love and Death.

My laundry was long in the dryer before Jodie appeared. The original plan for tonight was buying pizza, but apparently she'd opted for spaghetti, meatballs, and hot sausage with her own home-made sauce instead. It was really good. The sauce was delicious, fresh and tasty. We even had real Parmesan cheese.

Rose and Craig showed up about 20 minutes after they did, along with a friend of theirs, Jimmy. Baby Khai is just so adorable! He's gotten a little bigger in the three weeks since his birth, and he can open his eyes and is starting to grasp things. Otherwise, he's still very much a tiny newborn. His mother had lots of laundry to do for him. Good thing mine was just about done.

I got to hold him while she loaded the laundry. He's so tiny and precious! I sang to him, and he went to sleep. It felt odd to hold a real life in my arms. Odd, but kind of nice. He's just so small and sweet. Unfortunatly, my left elbow has been feeling sore for the past few days. I think I slept on it funny. I really wasn't up to holding him for too long.

I had a nice chat with Jodie, Craig, Rose, and Jimmy. We mostly talked about Khai, raising children, and their plans for later in the evening. Jimmy was nice enough to take me home after dinner. I would have walked, but it had started to rain.

The rain has continued into the evening, and come down fairly hard. Good. We needed it. Maybe this will warm things up a bit and make things less dry.

No comments: