Monday, May 17, 2010

Morning At the Library

I slept in this morning. It's just as well. It was gloomy and gray when I awoke, though not cold or windy. It was probably still in the upper 60s-lower 70s. Not exactly the most fun day to go running around.

After a breakfast of porridge, I decided that since I finished Apple Turnover Murder when I got up this morning, I'd volunteer at the Oaklyn Library today. I decided to do something a little different and organize the Chapter Books section. I love that the Oaklyn Library's chapter books section still has so many classic titles. I saw Caddie Woodlawn, Understood Betsy, the Louisa May Alcott books Little Men, Jo's Boys, Under the Lilacs, and Jack and Jill, National Velvet, Five Little Peppers, Summer of the Swans, and many of the Judy Blume and Lois Lenski titles I remember so well from childhood. Not enough Babysitter's Club, but tons of Christopher Pike and Sweet Valley High.

But someone hasn't been over there in a while. The shelves were dusty, and the lower ones were covered in cobwebs! Ugh! I told the librarian they needed to be cleaned pronto.

After I got home, I spent an hour working on editing this month's Monkees Role-Play story and eating a quick lunch of peanut butter, celery sticks, a half of a grapefruit, and a Nutmeg Feather Muffin. I headed quickly to work after lunch.

I had a short shift, only four hours, and it was steady the entire time. I caused the most problems. A WIC check wasn't organized right, and I got a lot of things mixed up. Some of the managers weren't happy when I let people get away with cereal that's no longer on the checks, too. I did that because they'd already taken up time putting aside items they hadn't gotten right, and the cereal used to be on the checks. I really wish the New Jersey government would stop changing this stuff every couple of months. It's confusing.

The ride to work was more of the same, but it started spitting on the way home. By the time I got in, it was a full-blown shower. I don't know if we've had any rain since. It's supposed to cool off by tomorrow, then return to the 70s.

No comments: