Monday, May 31, 2010

A Day of Preparation, A Night of Movies

I spent most of yesterday getting ready for Lauren to arrive. I got up earlier than usual for a Sunday and was able to do some cleaning while the Brunch With the Beatles show was on. (The animated film Yellow Submarine was the theme yesterday.) I tried calling Mom during the Beatles, but I never got through to her.

After the show ended, I went for a walk to CVS. I stopped by Dad's house on the way there to say "hi" to Uncle Ken and Dolores (who are finally back from Texas) and remind Dad about picking Lauren up that evening. He said he and Jodie had gotten a last-minute invitation to our cousins Karen and Jim's house, but they'd be home in time for Lauren's train.

Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. It was sunny, hot but not humid, and breezy. I had a fine walk to CVS to pick up laundry detergent, dryer sheets, brush picks for my teeth, and a card to welcome Lauren. After CVS, I headed in the other direction down the White Horse Pike to WaWa for sliced turkey, milk, and a Berry-Cherry Coke Zero (i.e, fountain Coke Zero with raspberry and cherry syrup).

I had a quick lunch when I got home, then worked on tidying up the apartment. I vaccuumned, did a quick dusting, and washed dishes. When I got bored with that, I went for a walk down to the river at Goff Avenue and back around to West Clinton Avenue.

There was a message for me when I got home. Turns out Dad and Jodie hadn't gotten home from Karen and Jim's in time and were going to have Erica, Jodie's neighbor and friend, drive Lauren here. I wasn't happy. First of all, I told Dad and Jodie for months that Lauren was arriving today. They could have asked Karen for dinner earlier or left and eaten at home, or even told Karen and Jim that they had things to do today, could we come at another time?

It wasn't fair to Erica, either. The thrift shop was elbow-to-elbow busy yesterday. She was nice about it, but she said she'd wanted to get a nap in. Given what the May Fair was like yesterday, I couldn't blame her.

When all was said and done, everything seemed to go fine, though. Lauren arrived right on time and said she had no traveling problems anywhere. We got home just fine and spent the rest of the night watching Bowery Boys movies and cartoons. (Lauren is a big fan of the Bowery Boys.)

We're just hanging out today, since many stores are closed, though we may also end up going to a mall. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: