Thursday, May 06, 2010

Friendly Balance

Started off a somewhat cloudy and breezy day with yoga class. I didn't have much luck. We mostly concentrated on standing poses and balancing poses like bridge. I'm terrible at bridge, and don't get me started on full wheel. I definitely can't lift my legs while doing them! I fell a lot. Good thing there were only 9 people in class today, counting the teacher Karin.

Made a brief stop at the thrift shop next. I said "hi" to Erica and browsed. The shop was quite busy, so I didn't talk to her for very long. I didn't see anything I wanted, so I moved on.

Next on today's agenda was volunteering at the Collingswood Library. I put away and organized the DVDs downstairs, then went upstairs to see if anything needed to be put away. There was only one book that did...but I found something else upstairs. Or someone.

A big black man commented nicely on the book I was reading, and said he'd seen me before. We ended up talking for 45 minutes. He was very nice to me. I almost never have anyone, male or female of any race or creed, notice me like that. He said he'd seen me before and thought he'd like to try talking to me. He said he'd call me back when I got home. I hadn't planned on staying for so long! It was quarter after 1 before I finally got home!

I did talk to the fellow when I got in. We're going to get together for a walk tomorrow, since he has to go by the Acme anyway and I need to pick up my paycheck. I'm not too sure about this. He seems to want to go faster than I'm ready for, but I do need people to talk to...and as I discovered this afternoon, he's quite the conversationalist! I don't often find that around here beyond my family. Even if I'm not ready for love, I could use a friend who lives in the area.

Work was a pain in the rear. It was steady when I came in and when I left...but rush hour was a mad house. We had long lines, not enough help, and several annoying customers. Chief among them were some guys trying to buy 30 bottles of Febreze and 20 of the Tide on sale. This would have been less of a pain if they didn't want to pay for 2 Febreze and one Tide per order, so they could get the $5 coupon that came with the Tide to use on the next order! After a few minutes of doing this, the line got too long to play their game, and I told them so. They needed to have some respect for others; the Acme is a public place. They didn't even get that far with the cashier behind me and finally left anything they hadn't already paid for behind.

No comments: