Monday, May 10, 2010

Every Time We Say Good-Bye

Actress/Jazz Singer Lena Horne Dies at 92

Horne was one of my idols. I first heard her famous rendition of "Stormy Weather" on, of all places, the Disney Channel's 80s DTV music videos. Even played against clips of Donald Duck having a bad day, I could feel the aching melancholy in the performance.

I don't think they knew what to do with me, a black woman. At the time, I never felt like I quite fit in.

Lena Horne had been invited to appear in the first That's Entertainment, but she'd only do it if she could tell her side of the story as an abused minority in Hollywood. It wasn't until the third movie that they'd comply. She had one of my favorite segments of That's Entertainment III, explaining what had happened to not only her, but Ava Gardner in the 50s Show Boat when her vocals were switched for someone else's.

Good bye to a legend, and one of the strongest women I've ever seen. I only hope I can be half as strong as she was.

No comments: