Monday, September 12, 2016

Shadows Prove the Sunshine

I was so thrilled to awaken to mid-70's temperatures, blue skies, and cool wind this morning after it was so hot last week. I was not as thrilled with waking up to Charlie cursing his brains out downstairs. I ran more K-Tel records to drown him out.

Finally made it to the laundromat around 11:30. While it was busy, there were plenty of washers open. Good thing, because I had a ton of laundry to do today, including towels and the spring/summer place mats before I put them away for the season. I sat at the chairs under the windows and read a copy of Real Simple from last winter and worked on story notes.

When I got home, I finally delivered the last of last month's rent to my neighbors, then put away the pile of clothes and linens I'd just washed. By the time I got done with that, it was so late, I barely had the time to eat! I had to rush out to work and make it just on time.

Work was on-and-off busy. It was the end of a 4-day sale. The nice weather probably kept it from being as busy as it could have been. I ended up in the register twice, but I mostly gathered carts and boxes of plastic bags and shelved items.

As soon as I got home, I changed and started dinner. Kept things very simple with chicken legs poached in white wine and water-based broth and boiled Chinese beans. I think I'll steam or saute the beans next time. Boiling really ruins their flavor. The chicken came out a bit better, when it finally cooked all the way.

Decided I wanted to make a cake next while the weather was cooperating. Grabbed a can of apricots and that clearance box of Pink Velvet cake mix and made Pink Apricot Cake. Yum. It came out rather nicely. The apricot complimented both the smoothness and the bright cotton-candy color of the cake.

Watched The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 while I ate and baked. Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Laurence) is fighting mad after she discovers how President Snow (Donald Sutherland) and his government brainwashed her beloved Peeta (Josh Hutchinson). She insists on leading several dangerous missions, including one to take down Snow in the Capitol, despite President Coin (Julianne Moore) seeing her as more of a figurehead. Coin's assistant Plutarch (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) understands better - she's the last hope of the rebellion to convince others to join them. But Katniss discovers the hard way that there's more to Coin's "rebellion" than meets the eye, especially when the staggering losses become personal...

I definitely enjoyed this one more than last year's dark and slow-moving Part 1. I figured out what Coin was up to well before Katniss or any of the rebels...in the last movie. I really liked the ending, though. If anyone deserves a happy ending, it's these characters.

Once again, this one is for teens on up who enjoy dark movies about post-apocalyptic futures a lot more than I do.

No comments: