Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mighty Quinn

I awoke to a slushy, sloppy, damp, cloudy morning. Not attractive, but it wasn't raining or snowing or even blowing, so I finally dragged myself out of bed to do my chores. I had oatmeal and watched The Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake, then went to the bank.

The Strawberry Shortcake episode in particular gave me a lot to think about. Rainbow Sherbet, a young female sailor who lives on her ship, pulls up anchor in Strawberry Land and decides to give land living a try. Strawberry and most of her friends are excited to have such an exotic newcomer among them...but Peppermint Fizz refuses to accept this unusual girl, with her boat talk and floating home. Strawberry tries to talk to her, but she stubbornly refuses to accept anything that's not like her.

Prejudice is a new concept in the Strawberry Land world, and it's handled fairly well here without coming off as TOO heavy-handed. I thought Strawberry's ultimate solution to the problem was fairly imaginative.

I've spent most of my life being made fun of because I was as different as Miss Rainbow Sherbet. I was obsessed with Star Wars in the late 80s, when most sci-fi had fallen off the radar. I was into reading, writing, quiet, and old movies, none of which endured me to the urban, hip-hop troubled kids at the Special Services Middle School or many of the kids at Lower Cape May Regional High School. Though I had an easier time in high school than many kids did (no angst for me), I still largely kept to myself. I figured they didn't want me, wouldn't want someone who was different.

"Different" is largely a matter of opinion, and I dwell too heavily on this, even now. I don't think I've ever really felt right in my own skin. I've always been told that this is wrong or that is wrong. Don't read this, don't wear that, don't play this, don't watch that. You're too old for this. You're not old enough for that. I'm so sick of all the "don'ts." No wonder I'm afraid to do anything!

I ran to the bank really quick after Strawberry Shortcake. It was so dead, I went right up to the teller and got right out in less than five minutes. I stopped at 7-11 and got a Caramel Cappuccino. (Too much coffee flavor, not enough caramel.)

Despite the slush, there were lots of kids out playing in the remains of the snow as I headed home. I ducked a snowball war between two boys and a girl. Two boys threw snowballs at each other from across their front lawns. Two other boys shoveled slush into a small mound that was probably their attempt at a snow(slush?)man.

When I got home, I grabbed my laundry basket, the pilates book, and the copy of The Rescuers I bought last week and headed for Uncle Ken's. All was quiet there. Dad was out, Uncle Ken was on his way out, and Dolores was chatting with a friend and left half-way through. It was well after 12PM by the time I got there; there weren't even any good cartoons on. I spent the time I was there reading, doing pilates, and just staring out the big picture window overlooking the river and thinking.

I went home long enough to have yogurt and a banana for lunch, then headed right back out again. I'd spent most of the week indoors, and slush or no slush, I was feeling the effects of some serious cabin fever. I walked down to Audubon, and after stopping at the bakery Desserts By Design for a massive chocolate chip cookies and a chat with the sweet proprietor (who is also one of the nicest Acme customers), I was off again. I headed for two of my favorite shops, Act Two Collectibles and Willie the Woodsman Gift Shop. I didn't really get anything at Act Two, but I got a new WebKinz at Willie's. Willie's doesn't have as good of a selection of WebKinz as the Collingswood Variety Store, but they do have several the Variety Store doesn't have, including Collies, Black and White Cheeky Dogs, and Lil'Kinz Bassett Hounds and St. Bernards. I debated the last two before remembering my last three WebKinz were dogs and opting for a polar bear instead.

So...meet Quinn, my WebKinz Polar Bear! Our big, lovable Canuck is all heart...unless a Red Wings game is on. I named him after the 70s novelty song "The Mighty Quinn," which has been stuck in my head all week. (Yes, the one about the Eskimo.) He'll be sleeping in the Hockey Rink Room when I finally finish it. (Good thing I already bought all the items I'll need two of.) I moved Linda the Collie to her own Library Room to go along with the Exclusive Bed I got in the shape of a book. Quinn's living with Eliza the Black Poodle in the Modern Condo.

The WebKinz site was a bit of a pain tonight, though. I couldn't get into the Arcade at all, and the Tournament Arena kept mixing me up with the other player and wouldn't show my KinzCash until I'd signed out. After a while, I just plain couldn't get it. Either a lot of people got WebKinz tonight, or the site is just acting weird. I really wish Ganz would get some better (or faster-moving) programmers who can take care of this stuff in a more timely manner.

No comments: