Saturday, February 09, 2008

Workin' On the Register

I had a very, very long day. I worked 8 hours today, from 10AM to 6PM. I haven't had an 8-hour shift in months. I found out why I suddenly had a long shift from one of the younger managers (who normally doesn't work in the mornings at all) this morning - most of the regular morning and early afternoon people attended a party for one of the managers and weren't up to working after it!

On the other hand, long shifts tend to go quickly, and you do get two breaks. No major problems today, other than a lot of the kids who had just worked the late shift the night before weren't terribly happy about having to come in at 9 and 10 in the morning.

I went to the Wal-Mart after work to find a few birthday presents and have dinner at Subway. Unfortunately, my shopping luck seems to have run out. The Subway was dingy and staffed by annoying people with annoying accents who couldn't understand a word I said. I couldn't understand what they were saying, either, which meant it took me longer to get my dinner than it should have. (I think it shocked the guy that someone actually asked for a bag of apples instead of chips!)

My trip to Wal-Mart reminded me of why I normally avoid that store unless I desperately need something. It was busy and noisy, filled with obnoxious people who scream for their friends and children over your head, push past you without saying "excuse me," and never put anything away...and that's just the customers! The small-for-a-discount-chain store was a disaster area. Empty and half-full boxes sat on the floor, with no one tending to them. Many shelves had wide-open spaces, and even items that weren't on sale were far from overflowing. The prices weren't nearly as great as everyone likes to claim they are, either. I couldn't find one of the things I was looking for. (Doesn't ANYONE make plain old underwear briefs in a size 8 with colors? Not uncomfortable high-cuts or low-cuts or rises or bikinis, just briefs!) The other, the newly-released special edition of The Aristocats, was $19.99, the exact same price it was at FYE. I decided I'd rather get it at FYE, which hopefully would be quieter. I did get a few things at Wal-Mart, including decorator candies for the cupcakes I'm going to make for Valentine's Day, birthday cards for my adopted sister Jessa (the 13th) and my stepfather Bill (today - it'll go out early next week), and a birthday present.

(Oh, and I bought a box of the new Girl Scouts Lemon Shortbread cookies. I always try to buy at least one or two boxes of Girl Scout Cookies a year, and not just because they're genuinely tasty, either. My sisters Rose and Anny were Girl Scouts when they were younger, and they never really had much luck with cookie-selling in quiet Cape May. We'd have boxes sitting around for months!)

FYE was a breath of fresh air after stuffy, loud Wal-Mart. It was just me, the kid behind the register, and the ads for new releases on the TVs. I eyed a few of the new WebKinz on their displays (I want a black poodle), but finally opted for The Aristocats, another birthday gift, and three packs of the new Series 2 WebKinz Trading Cards.

I had more luck with the cards than with the shopping. I bought a pack of Series 1 cards yesterday and was rewarded with my first piece of Trading Card Furniture, the Game Theme Table. Tonight, I got a Ballet Study Desk, a Series 2 Trading Card Dresser, and money. (The last was most appreciated. I drained my finances a bit buying Linda the Collie clothes and setting up the Pizzeria.)

Mary the Reindeer got the desk in her very pink ballet-themed room. I haven't found a place for the Game Table or the Trading Card Dresser yet. I used the money to add an Air Hockey game to the mini-arcade in my pizzeria. (And it was fun, too. Now I'll be able to practice for when I get together with Lauren next summer! ;) )

No comments: