Monday, April 21, 2008

Just Hanging Out

I didn't actually do much on my first of two days off this week. I debated going to Target, but I didn't really feel like making a train trip and a bus ride, and by the time I finally got out of the library, it was too late anyway. I organized the oft-unorganized children's DVDs, then took a look at various books. I finally found the most recently released Maisie Dobbs book, and there's a second book by the author of French Women Don't Get Fat, French Women In All Seasons. I also saw, but didn't take out, a graphic novelization of the fourth Babysitter's Club book, Mary Anne Saves the Day. A bit sketchy (and updated - check out Claudia's hair!), but very interesting, and it brought back a lot of memories.

I also took out three DVDs. I took a long ride in Cooper River Park, then watched the newest Strawberry Shortcake DVD, Big Country Fun, and the 1938 Alice Faye musical Lillian Russell. I was really impressed with Lillian Russell. This was one of those movies I read about in various books on musicals but never thought I'd see, especially as I'd heard rumors it was lost. Evidently not - it's not only on DVD (after never having been on video), but as nicely restored as Fox can with what they have to work with. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I really like Alice Faye. Unlike Betty Grable, she's so down-to-Earth - even looks like a real girl, with her bosomy figure. She looked stunning in the 1890s costumes, and her supporting cast was outstanding - Henry Fonda as her one true love, Don Ameche as her devoted first husband, Edward Arnold as real-life admirer "Diamond" Jim Brady, Warren William as another millionaire friend. The movie reminded me a great deal of The Dolly Sisters but surprisingly lower-key - only two good-sized numbers (and neither offensive) and more realistic histrionics. Fonda looked uncomfortable, but Ameche and Faye did quite well, and I thought Edward Arnold, who so often plays villains, was a wonderfully sweet Jim Brady.

No comments: