Thursday, February 12, 2009

Against the Wind

Whoosh! Ooohhh.... Crash!

The wind woke me up around 5:30AM. This wasn't any ordinary wind. It was a noisy, wild, crazy gale, the kind that can blow anything from trash cans to large porch furniture half-way across town. I opened my front storm door to see how bad it was...and had a very hard time CLOSING it. One of my chairs were blown across the porch before I finally stacked them, and I had to chase after the tarp on my bikes, too.

I spent the morning cleaning my kitchen and doing a second run-through of the Broadway documentary. By noon, it was becoming quite clear that the wind wasn't going away. If anything, it was even stronger, and far colder than it had been. It was really too windy for bike-riding, so I called Dad for a ride to work. He drove me to work, and Jessa (who baby-sat today and went by the Acme anyway) drove me home in her "new" car, my Uncle Ken's old Buick. As Jessa and I joked, never mind being built like a tank, that thing IS a tank. Might have been a good thing today, though - Jess had no problems maneuvering that huge old thing through the gusts.

The gusts and the impending holiday weekend likely kept most people at home today. The store was mostly dead, mildly steady around the usual 4PM rush-hour. I'm glad my relief was early tonight - I was getting bored.

No comments: