Monday, February 16, 2009

The Daze of Winter

I never heard from Rose this morning, and I slept too late to do Yogawood anyway, so I ended up doing my laundry and running errands. Dad and Jodie went up to the hospital to see Uncle Ken. I ran to CVS for eggs and a bag of peanuts I had a coupon for, enjoying a sunny, windless, mid-30s February day. I tried to find something good on TV, but most of the usual stations were running marathons of shows I could live without. It was The Suite Life of Zach and Cody On Deck on The Disney Channel. Like The Disney Channel's other pre-teen oriented TV shows (I've mentioned Hannah Montana before), it's cute but bland and a bit shrill. Boomerang was running The Smurfs. Great for nostalgia, but not much else. The Pokemon marathon on Cartoon Network were mostly the newer episodes I'm not familiar with. On the other hand, it was nice to see good ol' James, Jessie, and Meowith again, and that Piplup penguin Pokemon is waaaayyy too cute for words. Phineas and Ferb, a goofy comedy about two boys and their wild ideas for the perfect summer vacation, was a little strange, but generally fun.

Marlene, one of the managers, was on my answering machine when I finally got in, asking me to come in early. It was quarter after one by then. I did get in a half-hour early. If you ask me, 2 - 7 makes a lot more sense than 2:30 to 7, anyway. Marlene told me we'd been really busy, but we were more off-and-on this evening and were dead when I left.

Oh, and I asked our head manager, Steve, if I could switch to the bakery. I like my co-workers, but I really have had enough of working the front end. I'd like to really DO something besides shove other people's food around and listen to them whine. Steve said he'd see what he could do. I really hope so. I'm still debating culinary school, and I want some experience. Besides, the bakery has more flexible (and earlier) hours. The manager of the North Cape May Acme asked me if I wanted to move to the bakery when I was there after the Wildwood Acme closed down in fall 2005. Alas, she asked me too late - I was less than a month from moving at that point.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Oh, goodness, Emma, you would be super in the bakery. Do they "Learning Annex" type courses near you anywhere? You usually read about them in little flyers that are distributed to local businesses. They usually have courses for very small fees. If you could find an inexpensive cake decorating course, it would be super and give you a leg up as well.