Friday, April 06, 2012

Sort-of-Good Friday

I had a rather busy day today. First of all, I did end up going into work early. They called me again this morning and asked if I could come in at 11. I told them to make it 12, and I'd do it. I could go grocery shopping after work, but I did want to get to the gym. They said it would be fine.

I went to the gym around 10:30...and then had to ride all the way back home, as I'd forgotten my work clothes for later. This wasn't an easy task. The gale-force winds from earlier in the week were back, making all riding today rather difficult, despite the sunny day. I did finally get to Lucile Roberts at 11. Thank goodness it was only slightly busier than Wednesday morning. I did a quick 20 minute run on the stationary bike, then another 20 minutes on the leg-based weight machines. There was just enough time after stretching to change, hurry to work, get my paycheck, and get someone to sign me in.

Work was very busy for most of the afternoon and evening. Today is Good Friday, the beginning of the Easter/Passover holiday weekend, and if people weren't off all together, they probably got off early. We're still in the beginning of the month, too. Not to mention, April and May are huge sports months. The Masters' golf tournament is this weekend. Baseball just started this week. Hockey and pro basketball will be winding down and going into their playoff seasons soon. March Madness should be winding down soon as well, if it hasn't already. Thank heavens my relief was a teenage boy who recently moved up from bagging to cashiering and has never had trouble coming in on time.

I went straight in the back. I was hoping Sonic would be open, but no dice; they were still dark, and despite it being 7PM, no cars surrounded the building. I guess they're gone for good. They were probably in a bad location anyway, stuffed behind that very big and popular Chick-Fil-'A. I wonder what's going to happen to it now? Unlike the barbecue restaurant when it went belly-up, that's not exactly the kind of building you can instantly remodel into something else. They'd probably have to tear it down to do another fast-food place with indoor seating.

Ended up grabbing two slices of pizza and a Diet Dr. Pepper at Tu Se Bella's, the pizza parlor in the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. That might have worked out even better. It was warm and fragrant inside. The crowd wasn't bad, either. I think I missed most of the dinner people. I ordered a plain cheese and one topped with tomatoes and asparagus while everyone else talked about sports and holidays and watched the Masters on the TV on top of the soda coolers.

Went right back to the Acme after that to get my grocery shopping in. I had a ton to do, too. I badly needed sugar - I was almost out. Picked up the Domino's on sale because the Acme brand that's a better price was gone. Got a good sale on chocolate chips and frozen fruit concentrate for baking; stocked up on supplies to make Easter cookies and an Orange Coconut Cream Mousse Pie tomorrow. Restocked my fruit and vegetables, too, including asparagus on sale for $1.99 a pound.

I'm not thrilled with my schedule this week, but I don't think the manager had much of a choice. Everyone took off on vacation at the same time again. I work 8 1/2 hours Monday and Wednesday and until 9:30 on Tuesday. I had to beg for Easter off. I already asked for my birthday, and I got Friday. I agree with the manager who does the schedules; I wish one of the head managers would stick around long enough to help make a some kind of a schedule that would allow people to choose their weeks off, instead of everyone going off randomly and leaving the rest of us in the lurch.

No comments: