Saturday, April 07, 2012

"In Spring, the Easter Bunny Never Sleeps"

First of all, happy birthday to my sister Rose, whom I'm so proud of for being a good lawyer and a good mother. 

It was once again bright, sunny, and windy when I woke up this morning. Began today with The Artist's Way and the American Top 40 re-run. We headed back to April 1978, when disco was king. Hits from that week included "Can't Smile Without You," by Barry Manilow, "Running on Empty" by Jackson Browne, and the two blockbuster songs that had pretty much been on top for months, "Stayin' Alive" and "Night Fever," both two of the biggest hits of the Bee Gees' careers.

It was a lovely day to inaugurate this year's Spring Yard Sale Season. I made a quick run to the bank first (saying "hi" to the teller on my way), before checking out a few sales in Audubon. I couldn't find the one on South Davis and there was nothing interesting at the sales at the White Horse Pike and Spruce Avenue, but I hit the mother load at Washington Terrace. A man was selling at least 10 or 15 crates of LPs, ranging from classic rock to jazz, vocalists to a stray cast album or two. I picked up 17 records and four cassettes for 24 dollars (some of the records were 3 dollars):

Elton John - Madman Across the Water

Herman's Hermits - Herman's Hermits and There's a Kind of Hush All Over the World (Lauren loves these guys - she has a crush on Peter Noone)

The Who - Quadrophenia soundtrack

Oliver - Good Morning Starshine

The Carpenters - Singles 1969-1973

Bing Crosby - The Bing Crosby Story: The Early Jazz Years, 1928-1932

Rosemary Clooney and Bing Crosby - Fancy Meeting You Here

Phil Harris - That's What I Like About the South

Tony Orlando and Dawn - Greatest Hits

Don Henley - Building the Perfect Beast

Al Stewart - Time Passages

Judy Garland - Her Greatest Hits!

Jackson Browne - Running on Empty

Gary Puckett and the Union Gap - Gary Puckett and the Union Gap Featuring "Young Girl"

Bells are Ringing - Original Broadway Cast Album with Judy Holliday and Sydney Chaplin

Steve Martin - A Wild and Crazy Guy (Yay! More Steve Martin in loony mode! Even has "King Tut!")

Since I was already in Audubon, I decided to treat myself to a cupcake at Desserts By Design. Not a good idea. They were mobbed, and I wasn't about to fight the crowds in that tiny store. I went a few doors down to Flowers By Renee instead to get a present for Rose's birthday. Thank heavens Renee wasn't busy. I guess people already put in most of their Easter flower orders.

I went home to put away the flowers and the records, then went back out on foot. Went to the Oaklyn Library first to do this week's volunteer session there. I rearranged a few DVDs and shelved some children's books. They sounded like they were going to work on some new shelves, though, so I left early.

My next stop was Dad and Uncle Ken's. Jodie was working on the French Toast Casserole for tomorrow morning when I arrived; Dad was doing work around the house. Uncle Ken and Dolores were watching the History Channel. Dad said we're going to get together around 10AM with Rose and her boys for breakfast, then leave for Karen and Jim's between 1 and 2. All are fine by me. I had to push to get this holiday off, and I had no desire to rush it.

I spent the rest of the afternoon at home, running cartoons and Easter specials and movies while first cleaning the kitchen, then doing holiday baking. Did Barbie Presents Thumbelina while I was in the kitchen. When a group of kids make fun of a girl's tiny tree, Barbie tells them the story of a diminutive, fairy-like creature who did make a difference. In Barbie's version, Thumbelina is a Twillerbee, a small nature-dweller who lives with her friends in a flower-filled meadow near a large city. Thumbelina and her friends find themselves small fish in a huge urban pond when Makenna, the spoiled daughter of a pair of yuppie business owners, insists on having their flower patch uprooted and brought to her room. Thumbelina discovers that Makenna's parents intend to build a factory on the meadow, destroying the Twillerbees' homes. She sets out to prove that a person can be brave and change things for good, no matter how big or small they are.

I wasn't crazy about it. The problem with environmental tales for children is, no matter how well-meant they are, they often tend to be preachy. Thumbelina is no exception. The "make a difference" message was laid on a bit too thick. The story has absolutely nothing to do with Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale whatsoever, either.

I believe this was one of the earliest Barbie titles released by Universal. That means there's some very nice animation, including the Twillerbees' eye-popping, almost Seuss-like meadow. Even so, it wasn't enough to offset the too-obvious morals. If your daughter is into the Barbie specials, try either the earlier ones or the most recent ones first unless she's a big fan of going green.

I switched to Easter specials around the same time I finished the kitchen. I made Cinnamon Swirl Bread for me and rolled-out Easter Cookies to split between me and the family tomorrow. Ran Here Comes Peter Cottontail, then Yogi the Easter Bear.

I did Easter Parade while having salmon and a spinach-citrus salad for dinner. A dancer (Fred Astaire) has to find himself a new partner when his old one (Ann Miller) leaves him in the lurch when she accepts an offer to star in her own show. He randomly chooses a chorus girl from a bar dance show (Judy Garland) to work with him. She's awkward at first, especially when he tries to force her to be just like his former partner - something she isn't. He finally discovers her own comic rhythm that propels them to the top ranks of vaudeville stardom. What will he do when his old partner makes a play for him...and his best friend (Peter Lawford) makes a play for his new one?

One of the best of the Freed Unit MGM musicals is this delightful charmer. Everyone gets a good number in. Astaire astounds with "Drum Crazy" and the trick photography on "Steppin' Out With My Baby." Ann Miller gets an amazing "Shakin' the Blues Away," while Garland finally got fastidious Astaire into hobo togs long enough for their hilarious "A Couple of Swells." Peter Lawford may not be the singer that the other three are, but he does get my favorite of the songs written directly for the film, the sweet ballad "A Fella With an Umbrella."

No comments: