Saturday, April 28, 2012

A View to a Sell

The sun was still out when I awoke this morning. There were clouds on the horizon, but they weren't really anything threatening yet. They kept at bay as I put on today's American Top 40 re-run. Casey took us into 1980 as disco ended its run and New Wave, country, and British supergroups dominated a troubled year. Among that week's hits were "Another Brick In the Wall" by Pink Floyd, "You May Be Right" by Billy Joel, "Too Hot" by Kool & the Gang, and two classic duets, "Don't Fall In Love With a Dreamer" by Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes, and "With You I'm Born Again" by Billy Preston and Serena. (The latter was a favorite of mine during my early childhood. I thought it was one of the most romantic songs in the universe.)

Blondie continue their dominance of the charts in the late 70s and early 80s with the week's number one song, one of their biggest hits, "Call Me."

I headed out as soon as I pumped up my tires. Made a very quick stop at a very quiet bank, then headed down the White Horse Pike to Audubon. They're having their town-wide yard sale this week. I did a little better than last week, if not as well as at last year's spring sales.

Found six videos to dub onto DVD - the 1933 Little Women with Katherine Hepburn (which I've never seen before - I've seen the June Allyson one from 1949, and I have the recent one with Winona Ryder), The Little Drummer Boy Book II (one of the few major Rankin-Bass specials that still isn't on DVD), Forest Gump, the animated Charlotte's Web from the 70s, and two James Bond movies, Goldeneye and A View to a Kill. Also picked up the romantic comedy-drama Waitress on DVD.

I didn't find any records until I was on my way back home. A fellow on Maple had two boxes of really interesting titles. I ended up with:

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All of These Years

The Temptations - Cloud Nine

The original Broadway casts for Evita (a rather appropriate find; it's being revived on Broadway as I type this) and The King and I

The soundtrack for Superman: The Movie

I stopped at another sale as I was leaving Audubon and heading for Nicholson Road. They had several intriguing wooden items for sale, including another heart cut-out shelf like the two I had at home. I thought I might be able to use it, and it was only three dollars, so I piled it onto the bike basket and rode back to my place.

I had enough time when I got home to load books onto the new bookshelf. I finally moved the Effanbee dolls to the top of the closets, where the other Effanbee dolls and collectible toys are. The new bookshelf now holds children's books - hardbacks, paperbacks, and anything related to the various American Girl historical series. The only children's books I weren't able to move were the oversized picture books. They'll stay on the bottom of the smaller Ikea shelf, mainly because I can't fit them anywhere else. The comic books and Care Bears stay on the tower of wooden crates next to my desk, between the bedroom windows that overlook the porch.

(Still haven't found something to do with the shelf I bought today, though. We'll figure that out tomorrow.)

I barely had enough time for a leftovers lunch and change and hurry off to work! By this point, the wind had really picked up, and the clouds were far more threatening than they had been while I was exploring Audubon. That, and the end of the Town-Wide Yard Sale, may have been why we were off and on busy all evening. Good thing we were in an "off" spell when I finished. My relief was the boy who is always late coming from his second job. I was able to buy milk and head home. Big, fat raindrops started coming down as I headed down Kendall, but I don't think they lasted very long.

No comments: