Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rock Candy Balance

Started a lovely, sunny morning with yoga class. I was almost late, but it hardly mattered. There were only about six or seven people in class today, including me and the teacher Karin. This class is usually full to capacity! Actually, it worked out much better for me. Karin had us concentrate on standing poses and back stretches in honor of Earth Day and our connection to nature. We had far more room to work on the poses than usual.

As with Haddon Township yesterday, there wasn't much to do at the Collingswood Library when I arrived there. I shelved a few DVDs and Wii titles and organized the DVD shelves. I didn't even bother with upstairs. I had to work at 2. I just headed out after the DVDs were done.

I did have enough time to pick up a special treat on the way home. There's a candy store down the street from the Collingswood Library called the Candy Jar. They remind me so much of the candy stores in Cape May during my childhood, I get homesick just walking in there. Despite their small size, they have every kind of candy you can imagine, including hard-to-find old-fashioned types that you only see in the Vermont Country Store catalog, like Sky Bars and Turkish Taffy. I remember how much my sisters and I liked the rock candy on a stick that the candy stores in Cape May sold when we were kids. They came in different flavors, and they were usually a dollar...and pretty much the only things a kid could afford in a fancy candy store. I finally bought a cherry rock candy pop, and the owner let me have a sample of two dark chocolate "roses."

I crunched my rock candy, happily remembering how much I loved the hard sweetness as a child, as I walked down Haddon Ave. I rode home after I finished my lollypop. Made scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms for lunch, then baked Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins and dubbed Naked Gun 2 1/2 - The Smell of Fear

If you saw the first one, you have at least somewhat of an idea of the plot here. Lieutenant Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielson) is in Washington DC, protecting a wheelchair-bound scientist who is about to deliver an important speech on alternative fuel sources. His girlfriend Jane (Priscilla Prestley) is also in town, working in the scientist's lab. Well, his ex-girlfriend. They broke up because he was too dedicated to his job. When the lab is blown to bits and Jane is the only witness, Frank finds himself and his eternally damaged partner Nordberg (OJ Simpson) having to protect Jane and the scientist from a tycoon (Robert Goulet) who is determined to sell his oil and nuclear power to the world.

Actually, the big problem nowadays with this one is that the central premise of the scientist and his environmental speech isn't so funny now that people really are taking the search for alternative fuel sources seriously. Other than that, if you enjoyed the first movie or are a big fan of the 80s-early 90s Zucker Brothers spoofs or Leslie Nielson, go right ahead. There's just as many hilarious gags the second time around, including how Nordberg ended up in Detroit and Jane and the menagerie in her apartment.

Work was a total pain in the rear end. One of the managers had attempted to call me in earlier, but she wanted me in by noon, and that's just about when I got home. It wasn't busy when I arrived, but it did get busy later, and once again, we didn't have enough help. I was late getting out because the other night cashier was late getting back from her break, no one came in for me, and I got stuck dealing with one of those darn people buying 500 sale items for the chop shops in Camden.

No comments: