Monday, January 05, 2015

Cut Print Move On

I slept in this morning and didn't get out to the laundromat until almost noon. It was sunny, but windy and very chilly. The cold wind must have scared everyone off. There were only a few other people in the laundromat when I arrived. I read a book on reinventing your career and ignored the local news and The Young and the Restless on CBS.

When I got home, I put the laundry away quickly, then went into putting more Christmas decorations away. I got the stuffed animals out from under the tree. The small stuffed animals went in one bag. Big Chester (the 1987 K-Mart holiday bear) and Clarice went in their own bags. Clothing went in another bag (it's so old, it held stuffing for Mom's craft projects in the mid-80s!), ribbons and bows in another. Soft decorations and clothing items, like my stockings and Santa hat, had their own bag. It took me less than a half-hour to get it all sorted out and hurry the box in the back.

Ran Watch the Birdie while I worked and had leftover quiche for lunch. Another Red Skelton vehicle from the late 40s, this one has him playing a young man who works in his family's camera store. He's hoping to become a newsreel photographer to save the store from being shut down. He falls for a wealthy land developer (Arlene Dahl), but gets mixed up with her crooked managers and a beauty pageant winner who likes him too (Ann Miller).

Despite the popularity of Red's many different personalities on his radio and TV shows, this is Red's only MGM vehicle that saw him essaying different characters. Here, he plays not only the cameraman, but his dad and grandfather, as well. Dashing Grandpa's visit is one of the funniest gags of the film. Other than that, this is a pretty average Skelton vehicle and mainly of interest to fans of him or the ladies, or people looking for rainy afternoon fare on TCM.

Work was a madhouse for most of the night. First of all, it's still the beginning of the month. Second, that promotion we've run for the last few months, where people collected stickers to get Cuisinart pots, ends tomorrow...and we're just about out of all but the most expensive pieces. Third, we're supposed to get light snow tomorrow. I'm less worried about the snow (it's only supposed to be a dusting to an inch or two) than the 20 degree temperatures that are supposed to follow it. We were so crazy tonight, I didn't get my break until quarter of 7...and I was done at 8! Thankfully, it slowed down enough by 8 that I was able to leave quickly without a relief.

No comments: