Tuesday, January 21, 2020

How Lucky Can You Get?

I slept in a bit today and started off my morning with breakfast and Blockbusters. The mother and son from last week were now playing against a younger woman. It was a pretty heated match, too. The trio just kept blocking each other, even as I gulped the last of my Egg'noggin' tea.

Called the nearest bike shop after I ate. Yes, the Erton Bike Shop in Cherry Hill claimed they would be able to help me fix the bike seat. I'd see what I could do to get there tomorrow. By the time I called them, it was past 11, and I had counseling at 2.

Continued on to Match Game while getting organized.  Married dancers Bobby Van and Elaine Joyce made jokes about their entertainment careers in two episodes from 1974, while Charles and Brett teased each other and Richard eyes a couple of comely contestants. Betty White fielded cracks about her marriage with Password host Allen Ludden in the second episode. Comediennes Rona Barrett and Fannie Flagg joined Brett, Gene, Richard, and Gary Burgoff for an episode from '75.

Headed out around 12:30. Took Uber to the Collingswood WaWa. I probably could have walked, but I wanted to make sure I made it to Haddonfield in time for counseling. Tried a Sea Salt Caramel Mocha Hot Chocolate from WaWa, since I was there. (Very rich, creamy, and tasting more of caramel than salt.) Grabbed five dollars from PNC Bank before strolling another block to the PATCO. Hopped onto the next train to Haddonfield and was there in less than five minutes.

The Haddonfield Library is only two blocks from the train station. I had to go to the bathroom anyway, so I thought I'd stroll over and take a look. They remodeled their historic building a while back. The main lobby is now devoted to DVDs and audio books, with the fiction and kids' area in the back and the nonfiction upstairs. Every area now has lots of room for large tables and chairs and big soft chairs by wide windows. I had to ask a librarian where the bathrooms were; she lead me to a corridor off the main room.

Made it counseling with no time to spare. I don't really have a lot to report anyway. The only problems I've had since late November were with work. The holidays were among the best I ever had, my family's getting along better, and I'm on vacation. Even the trouble with my bike seat could have been worse. Like I said, at least it happened on a week when most of what I had planned was in the area, and my one-out-town trip was with the family. I'm a little nervous about the doctor's appointment, but the worst he could do is complain about my weight and tell me to get a few shots. I don't often get sick, and when I do, like when I got the flu early last September, it usually passes quickly. Not to mention, I have a W-2 coming soon and should be getting some tax money.

Since I was no longer in a hurry, I decided to save the money after I got off the train and walk home. As Mrs. Stahl pointed out, it was a lovely day for it. The sun was out, the sky was blue, and though it remained chilly, the wind petered out last night, making the cold weather a lot more tolerable. I actually passed quite a few people as I strolled down the path along Newton Lake. The river sparkled like a thousand diamonds, illuminating the golden grass and coppery reeds along the shores.

Stopped at CVS on the way home for dish washing liquid and to look at magazines. Ran into Rose, Khai, and Finley picking up a bag and card for a birthday party Khai was going to later. Finley was so cute, toting around a baby doll in a ladybug outfit and her own mini-diaper bag. They drove me as far home as Rose could go. A huge crane blocked the middle of Manor, taking something off a roof.

Spent the next few hours writing. Bill takes off as soon as they arrive at Marcia's house, claiming he has to reclaim his home. Marcia's disappointed and a little confused, but there's not much she can do. She and Charles make dinner from the quail Richard shot, and they dine and enjoy each other's company together. But the peace is about to be shattered by the clip-clop of a frightened horse...and the howl of a broken-hearted Beast...

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Everyone on Match Game is thrilled to be joined by stage legend Ethel Merman in a week from 1975. Fannie Flagg even wears a t-shirt that insists they're her number one fans. Ethel may be able to belt with the best of them, but she does have a lot to figure out about game shows, as Gene and Brett remind her.

Finished the night with Funny Lady. I go further into this 1975 sequel to Funny Girl at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Funny Lady

No comments: