Thursday, January 02, 2020

To Tell the Sister

Started off the morning with breakfast and a couple of shows on Buzzr. To Tell the Truth is another "four panelists play guessing games" show, only here, they're trying to tell which of three similar people is the actual figure they're discussing and which ones are pretenders. I saw the last ten minutes as they tried to figure out which man was a doctor who had written a book about the world population...and they got it totally wrong. (So did I. I thought it was the bearded guy.)

The panel did better on What's My Line? Allen Ludden guessed that the man was a karate teacher as well as a priest. He proceeded to explain how he uses karate demonstrations to draw in parishioners and demonstrated a few moves, including cracking his head over a concrete block blindfolded.

Work was steady for most of the morning. I alternated between rounding up carts and shelving candy, stopping to sweep at noon. It was a nice day to be outside. The sun was out, the sky was blue, and while it was chilly, it wasn't neither as cold nor as windy as yesterday.

I texted Rose at work to ask if she intended to go down to North Cape May for our niece Lilah's birthday like we did last year. I wanted to know so I could put in for my vacation week. She called me shortly after I got home. Yes, she did, on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. She also said she'd gotten a wooden futon frame and was willing to bring the old metal one over today around 4. (She also admonished me to make an doctor's check-up appointment.)

That meant I had to rush the laundry I had planned for today. I ate lunch and tried to see if I could find longer shoelaces for my new sneakers while watching a couple of Buzzr shows. A young man kept sweeping the puzzles and prizes on Classic Concentration, but he just couldn't figure out the matching on the bonus car round. Carolyn Jones and Barry Sullivan were the celebrities on the original 60's Password, while Robert Foxworth and Marcia Wallace did the wordplay on Password Plus.

It was almost 3:30 by the time I made it to the laundromat. I should have gotten out much earlier. Once again, every cheap washer was being used, and I ended up shoving my load into an expensive one. It was insanely busy, too, with several families and college students getting their vacation loads done. I did the shorter dryer session, despite there being a lot of heavy items in my load. Rushed off as soon as I could get it all out. And of course, when I got home, I checked my phone and discovered a text from Rose that said something came up and she couldn't come over after all. That did give me the chance to put things away and hang up anything that needed to be dried in the bathroom.

Worked on writing for a while after I finished. The women do eventually get off the bed and join Gene, Brett, Richard, and Queen Isobel at breakfast. It's here that Isobel admits what she did after Della complains about the lumpy mattress. It was a "princess test," to see if Della and Patti were true royalty. Um, yes, they are. Della's yawning, and Patti falls asleep in her pancakes. Brett and Gene protest that she should have listened all along.

Broke for dinner at 7. Finished the night with the rock spoof Bye Bye Birdie while having sauteed collard greens with ham and macaroni salad for dinner. I go further into this 60's teen satire at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Bye Bye Birdie (1963)

No comments: