Friday, January 31, 2020

Bank On Matches

Slept in this morning and started off the day with Match Game. Comedian Orson Bean and comedienne and writer Fannie Flag join Richard, Gene, Brett, and Charles for a cute episode in 1974. Also along is a sweet blonde woman named Abby Dalton; I didn't recognize her, but research reveals that soap opera fans will know her from her stint on the 80's prime time soap Falcon Crest. I didn't recognize adorable Jackie Joseph in her pink cap in the next episode, either. I'm more familiar with poem-loving comedian Nipsey Russell and Jo Ann Worley, one of my favorite performers from Laugh-In.

Made dinner while the shows were on. I thought I'd try a recipe from the low-fat Crock Pot cookbook Lauren sent me for my birthday a while back. I eliminated the black beans because my little pot didn't have the room for them, and the can of kidney beans was about to expire anyway. Added ground turkey, a little chopped celery, carrot, and onion, and cumin and chili powder (but not the red pepper - I'm not that crazy).

Made a quick lunch and got organized while watching Olym-pinks. The Pink Panther competes in skiing in the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics. His fellow team member wishes the audiences would pay more attention to him, but no matter what he does, he always ends up in the ice and getting sick, or flying off the side of a cliff. Meanwhile, the Pink has to out-ski a piano that seems determined to follow him around.

Headed out around 1:30 after adjusting my seat pole again. I had an appointment with the PNC Bank in Collingswood to check up on my three accounts there. There really isn't much to tell. I'm still broke. Every time I try to save money, I end up spending it on my rent. The lady I talked to, Trish, was a real sweetheart. She admitted that she also comes from a big family and could understand why I wanted to live independently. I wish I could buy a small house of my own, but I just can't afford it right now. She also suggested talking to the Acme about my retirement money. I should have a retirement fund, but I really have very little idea of how any of that works.

Made a quick stop at Frugli Consignment a couple of blocks down Haddon Avenue after I left. I was hoping to find new pants for work. My khaki pants finally got holes in them. No luck. No pants in my size there that were appropriate for work.

Went straight home, grabbed my laundry, and ducked right back out again. I needed to get clothes done. Given it was 3:30 by the time I got in, I shouldn't have been surprised that it was really busy. I got one of the last cheap washers. At least the crowds cleared out really quick. By the time my laundry was in the dryer, it was down to me and two women, the older of whom did nothing but complain about how slow the front-loading washer she used was moving. (Uh, they're a different brand than the top-loaders. Of course they move and work differently.)

Went into writing after I finished putting the laundry away. Charles and invisible musicians play the music for Bill and Marcia's "date," mainly so Charles can listen in on their conversation. Gene provides entertainment with fire and illusions, and Brett and the maids bring dish after spectacular dish. Bill rambles as he tries to talk to Marcia without telling her what's really going on, but Marcia's starting to wonder what his place here is...

Broke for that savory rich Crock Pot turkey chili at 6:30. The Match Game episode was one of the ones with Jack Albertson Buzzr ran not long ago. A bubbly young lady who apparently befriends teens in need finally beat the guy on Sale of the Century. She got a beautiful, if rather large for my taste, ruby ring, along with 5,000 for winning the bonus round. Dealers on Let's Make a Deal included an aerobics instructor in a striped leotard (so 80's!), a young man in prison stripes and his fiancee, and a football player. The girl in the leotard got the big deal of the day with a stunning red car.

Finished the night making Double Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies for the annual Chili Cook Off the Acme always has the Saturday before the Super Bowl. I can't bring a crock pot or big pot of chili on my bike, so I usually bring a dessert. Figured cookies would be the easiest to carry...and those peppermint truffle "chips" are so sweet and delicious, they deserve to be shared.

Continued Downton Abbey while I worked. Everyone in the household is over the moon when Matthew can not only feel his legs, but is able to stand again. Now that he can move, he finally proposes to his girl Lavinia (Zoe Boyle). Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery) is incensed when her husband Sir Richard Carlisle (Ian Glen) asks maid Anna (Joanne Frogatt) and butler Carson (Jim Carter) to spy on her in their new home. She's more successful keeping her sister Sybil (Jessica Brown Findley) from running off with the chauffeur Branson (Allen Leech). Meanwhile, former housemaid Edith (Amy Nuttall) is nervous about meeting the parents of the soldier she had her baby with, and valet Bates (Brendan Coyle) is worried that he might be accused of killing his wife, who just committed suicide.

No comments: