Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Matches and Disappointments

Began the morning finishing off another Lois Lenski book, Blue Ridge Billy, and didn't get moving until past 10:30. Blockbusters was just winding down when I had breakfast. Started getting organized as they went into Match Game. Soap opera sweetheart Trish Stewart, old-school Catskills comedian Jack Carter, and noisy comedienne Kaye Stevens joined Gene and the regulars for two episodes from 1974. John Forsythe found himself dealing with a trio of very unusual "Angels" in Brett, bubbly blonde Elaine Joyce, and sassy Alabama belle Fannie Flagg in a show from '75.

Finally headed off around 12:30. I managed to balance the broken seat well enough to get where I was going. At least it was a nice day for a ride in Newton Lake Park. The sun sparkled on the greenish water, and the wind had finally vanished. I wasn't the only one out enjoying myself, either. There were quite a few people out and about, mainly dog walkers and older folks getting out while the weather's still good.

The Haddon Township Library was fairly busy for around 1. A lot of people must have taken movies out during the bad weather last weekend and the cold early this week. The return carts were overloaded with just about everything. I had enough time to shelve all of the kids' titles and about half the adult ones before rushing out. And no, I didn't take anything out. I haven't watched two of the movies I took out last week and half of The Magic School Bus, plus there's Downton Abbey that I borrowed from Mom and tons of stuff on Roku.

Everything went south after I left the library. My original plan was to take the bus to the Garden State Market in Cherry Hill and walk or ride the bike to the bike shop from there. The Transit buses do have bike racks, but I haven't used one in over a decade. I had no idea how to get the bike on the rack, and no one got out to help me or show me how to do it. I finally gave up and waved the bus on in tears and frustration.

Rode down the hill to the Westmont Acme to buy a banana, a bagel, and a bottle of Propel water for the cheapest, quickest lunch I could come up with. I thought about just riding the bike over to Cherry Hill, but by that point, it was past 2. It would probably take me an hour to get to the shop, and that was without considering traffic. Decided I'd just go home and would look up and see if Uber can carry bikes. I'll try again on Friday morning.

Once again cut across a gorgeous park, but this time, I took a longer route that took me across from the Collingswood High School. Technically, the road on the Oaklyn side of the park isn't a part of the park, but a well-worn dirt road indicated that many people stroll down there anyway. And no wonder. It was lovely, warm and glittering, if a bit muddy with the unpaved road. The path took me up to a stone staircase on Bettlewood Avenue, where I hit the street.

I went that way because it's just a couple of blocks from Dollar General. I needed new underwear, and the packs of Hanes there were cheaper than the fancier ones at Target. Got in, grabbed a pack of briefs that fit, and got out.

Did some writing when I came home. Charles and Marcia make the group a wonderful dinner of quail stew, then celebrate with Charles playing music and the others dancing. They just finished when Bill Cullen's horse suddenly rides up to Marcia without him. Now she's worried, and so are the others. He wouldn't have left his horse behind...

Broke for dinner at 6. Did more Match Game while I had leftovers, and then while starting Peanut Butter Cookies. Gene kicked off one of the funniest episodes of 1975 by trying to haul a massive antique radio microphone around. Later, Fannie Flagg kept flirting with a handsome contestant, culminating with her mock-fainting after she gave him the 500 dollar answer in the Audience Match and he kissed her. It got so crazy, the others had to separate them after she matched him in the Head-to-Head! All this, plus Brett sparring with Broadway legend Ethel Merman.

Sale of the Century didn't get quite as wild, but it was a pretty exciting game. All three contestants were neck-and-neck almost the entire game. In the end, one woman probably bought too many of the "instant bargains," and the man simply outpaced her and the other lady in the speed round. He did win some nice bedroom furniture, but missed the bonus round money by one minute.

Ended the night on a more sober note with Downton Abbey. By the fourth episode of season 2, both the upstairs and downstairs residents of Downton are deep into World War I. It kicks off with Ethel, one of the maids (Amy Nuttall) being caught making love with the Major (Daniel Pirrie) in charge of the soldiers at Downton and being dismissed. Meanwhile, everyone is concerned about Matthew (Dan Stevens), the heir to Downton, and William (Thomas Howes), the second footman, who are at the front and were reported missing. There's also Branson the chauffeur (Allen Leech) asking Lady Sybil (Jessica Brown Findley) to marry him and give up her wealthy life, and the concert for the servicemen the sisters are planning. While the concert works out better than anyone expected, things don't go so well for poor Ethel...

1 comment:

Linda said...

Emma, why not look on the bus company's site and see if they have any instruction on how to use the bike racks? I can't believe the driver did not help you! They are "public servants" for a reason. If the web site is no help, try contacting them and telling them you need help on how to put your bike properly on the rack. Absolutely stupid that they do not have a simple graphic on the bus near the rack showing you how to mount the bike!! *I* would not known how to put the bike on the rack if it was a new process for me.