Thursday, January 16, 2020

Wild Is the Wind

Kicked off the morning with a quick breakfast and To Tell the Truth. Three men who all claimed to have shipped themselves to a girlfriend in Philadelphia were in the hot seats today. Tom Kennedy was the one who figured out it was number 3, the one with "the devilish smile." Soupy Sales figured out on What's My Line? that another lady from Philly sold patterns to embroider designs on jeans. They even had models show off her patterns. I thought the pants were a bit much, but the shirts and jackets were awesome - especially the cute bear jacket and shirt.

Thankfully after the past few days, work was no trouble. The worst that happened was dealing with some wild, gale-force wind outside that kept blowing carts away. It was so quiet, I spent the day either outside with the carts or doing the outside trash and recycling, doing the bathroom trash, or later, sweeping the store.

Went straight home as soon as I was done. A box for me leaned on the fence around the front yard when I arrived. It held the 80's fantasy Labyrinth for eventual review, a box of Nature's Bakery apple-cinnamon bars, and a new basket. I didn't realize that the basket was shorter than my old one...but it was also sturdier, with heavier bars and a less-complicated construction.

Headed inside after I finally got the basket on and tightened the seat. Ran the tail end of Classic Concentration and the beginning of the original 60's Password on Buzzr as I ate a quick lunch. The guy on Concentration got so close to getting a car, but there were technical difficulties, then he hesitated too long on matching. Dancer Ray Bolger and Amanda Blake of Gunsmoke were the elegant panelists on Password.

Finished out the Sailor Moon Super S set while I got organized. "Holiday In Juuban! A Carefree Princess" is a riff on the classic movie Roman Holiday. Princess Rubina of Amethyst flees her royal duties to have some fun in Tokyo. Usagi and Chibi-Usa first run into her on the street, then at a local street fair. Mamoru and the cats join them later to try to convince her to return to her hotel, before she gets hurt. But Hawk's Eye is also after the Princess, and he's determined to spoil their fun.

Finally headed back out around 2:30. I had a few errands to run. Newton Lake Park was surprisingly busy for a day where the wind was so crazy, I'm surprised I wasn't blown into the water. I dodged lots of people out for a stroll or walking their dogs before the weather turns nasty starting late tomorrow. The wind was cold, but when you could get away from it, the sun was actually quite warm, probably in the upper 40's, lower 50's.

The Haddon Township Library was a little busier than the Acme, mainly with kids out of school or parents looking for movies for the holiday weekend. Someone already put away the kids' DVDs, so I did the adult titles. Took out quite a few movies this week. Along with the fourth and final season of The Magic School Bus, I decided I'd finally have time next week for the 3-hour marathon Avengers: Endgame. Also grabbed the comedies Eddie the Eagle (about the infamous British ski jumper) and The Hustle (which I didn't get to the last time I had it out).

Made a few stops on the way home. I was looking for underwear at Target, but they had none of the bagged Fruit of the Loom I like. I'll get it at Dollar General sometime next week. Had more luck at Dollar Tree. Bought a card and a roll of rainbow-colored star-print paper for my niece Lilah's birthday party on Monday. Chuckled at the teen girls in plaid skirts in front of me just out of the Catholic high school down the street who bought 6-packs of ramen noodles and small heart-shaped boxes of chocolate with goofy mermaids or cartoon characters on them. They reminded me of Anny, who practically lived on ramen noodles at their age.

Did some writing when I got home. Richard, now hidden under his hood, brings the carriage around to pick up Charles, Brett, Marcia, and Bill the wolf. Bill asks her if she'd consider him as a sweetheart, but she explains that the only man she ever loved once wrote her kind and beautiful (if badly spelled) letters. She was so enamored by them, she agreed to go on a date with him... but the letters stopped coming, and they never went on that date. She presumes he was killed when Malade invaded the Summerlands. She left shortly afterwards.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Johnny, Marcia, and Trish finished their run on Match Game helping out a sweet and funny older man who came up with some great answers. He seemed to be especially fond of Brett, whom he chose for twice in the Head-to-Head (and won money with her once). A beautiful lady in Sale of the Century killed in the Speed Round, breezed through the Bonus Round, and won herself a really nice pearl necklace.

Ended the night with Lady and the Tramp. I go further into one of Disney's most popular animated films on my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Animation Celebration Extra - Lady and the Tramp (1955)

No comments: