Friday, January 17, 2020

I Dream of Vacation

I was so happy to actually sleep in a little this morning. Buzzr was on Press Your Luck by the time I had breakfast. This one came down to a young man who won a trip and several prizes, and a woman who got a big trip but several Whammies. The man finally got enough money to pass her and win all together. A woman played a mother-son duo on Blockbusters. She seemed to do well, until the son got a bunch of sports-related questions.

Headed out around quarter of 11 to get my laundry done. Unlike the past two weeks, they were totally dead when I arrived, and I never saw more than two people while I was there. I thought it was a good time to try the new, front-loading larger washers. They took more coins and ran for longer than usual, but they also wrung the clothes out better. They were a little less damp when I took them out, and didn't take quite as long to dry. I worked on story notes and ignored The View and Action News on Channel 6.

Watched an episode of Match Game while putting my clothes away, then went back out again. Wanted to hit the Oaklyn Library before they closed for the day. They were surprisingly busy for them, with a group of people gathered around the main table near the TV. I wonder if they were the board of directors or heads of the library? I think I saw one of the librarians among them. I half-listened to them while organizing DVDs and board books in the kids' area.

Took the long way down Nicholson Road and past WalMart to Tu Se Bella's Pizza for lunch. At least it was a nice day for a ride! It's colder, in the 30's, and still windy, but also sunny and cloudless (and much nicer than it's supposed to be tomorrow). It was almost 2 by the time I arrived, which was reflected in an empty dining area. I had a quick slice of broccoli-shrimp and a slice of cheese with a bottle of Sprite "Lymonade" (lemonade flavor - not bad, tart like lemonade should be).

To my surprise, the Acme wasn't busy, either. I figured they'd be mobbed, thanks to the weather reports for tomorrow. I guess everyone heard we're not really supposed to get much snow. Good thing, because I had a lot of shopping to do. They're having their occasional "buck a bag" vegetable sale. I grabbed celery, oranges, grape tomatoes, and bagged spinach. Treated myself to Mint Fudge Tracks light Acme generic ice cream on clearance. Found another book for Lilah's birthday, this one a "place a sticker and finish the story" picture book. Restocked yogurt, cranberries, canned crushed pineapples, canned mandarin oranges, peanut butter, toilet paper, milk, ground turkey, turkey hot dogs, canned black beans, tuna, and frozen broccoli florets.

My schedule for next week is...vacation! Why take my final vacation week in late January? First of all, there's Lilah's birthday. I loved going to Anny's house for her party last year. Second, it's mid-way between my previous vacation (September) and what will likely be my next vacation (May). Third, I have counseling on Tuesday, and Amanda wanted to get together on Thursday. Fourth...I really, really just need time off after what's been a busy and often frustrating couple of weeks at work. Other than those three days, my only plans are the usual writing and volunteering, and maybe a trip to the movies to either catch Cats for review or see Rise of Skywalker a second time.

Started the last season of The Magic School Bus while putting everything away. The kids are supposed to be watching their principal Mr. Rhule's beloved Rhode Island Red rooster Giblets, but he flies away. They go to a farm to get an egg that's been fertilized by a chicken and a rooster, then try to hatch the egg themselves, but it's slow going. Ms. Frizzle lets the kids, and then Arnold, go inside the egg to see how it's made, and then how a new life forms.

Worked on writing for a while after I finished. Marcia sadly admits that she'd been writing with a man whom she only knew as "Will." She'd fallen for his charming and witty (if badly spelled) letters, but Malade invaded the Summer-Winter Castle before they could go on a date and she presumed he was killed. Bill tries to tell her what happened at the Castle, but once again, something forces him into wolf howls before much comes out.

I also re-wrote a bit earlier. Bill Cullen is going to the next town over and asks Marcia, his friend and best customer, if she wants a gift. She asks for a rose. Most people in town grown vegetables. She hasn't seen a rose since leaving home.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Had the turkey hot dogs and a spinach-tomato salad with apple cider dressing while watching more Match Game. Cutie-pie Sarah Kennedy from Laugh In, MGM dancer Bobby Van, and comedienne Ann Elder join Gene and the regulars in an episode from 1975. Gene kept flirting with teeny Sarah, even kissing her rather hard at one point, to the mild amusement of Richard and the frustration of Brett (who went down and gave him a good smack on the shoulders).

Spent the next hour or so taking another nice, relaxing bath. As I mentioned, it's been a long couple of weeks. I brought a book, but I didn't read it. Just sat back, closed my eyes, listened to Jazz For When You're Alone, and breathed. Got so relaxed, I almost passed out at several points.

Finished the night with two episodes of I Dream of Jeannie on Crackle. I saw it when I was switching around the other night. Rose was always more into this show when we were little - I preferred sensible Samantha on Bewitched - but I thought I'd give it another try. Kicked off with the first episode, "The Lady In the Bottle." Captain Tony Nielson (Larry Hagman) is an astronaut who crashes on a desert island. He finds a woman genie (Barbara Eden) in a bottle appropriately named Jeannie and sets her free. She's crazy about him whether she's free or not and follows him in her bottle back to Florida. Now he has to figure out how to explain her to his fiancee Melissa (Karen Sharpe) and her father, Brigadier General Stone (Phillip Ober) that he's not as crazy as he sounds.

Skipped ahead to a second season western spoof, "The Fastest Gun In the East." Tony makes the mistake of wishing he were out west while watching a TV western. Jeannie makes him appear in the real west as the marshal of a small town under fire by land-grabbing cattle rustlers. The duo have to stop a cattle stampede, release an unfairly imprisoned man, and figure out who is the man behind the land grabbing scheme, before the bandits get around Jeannie's magic and take them out.

No comments: