Monday, October 11, 2021

Exploring New Frontiers

Started off a cloudy morning with material on Columbus Day from the Colliers Harvest of Holidays anthology. The biographical essay on Columbus was surprisingly honest about what he did and didn't do for something written in the 1940's, including his near-mutiny on his ship and poor treatment of the Cuban and San Salvador natives. Even the poems were more satirical than admiring. 

Made the bed and tidied up around the apartment, then ate breakfast while watching Hogan's Heroes. The boys say "Look at the Pretty Snowflakes" when they note that an avalanche could stop a Panzer division from heading northward. When a general has them shackled together, they need to figure out how they can work as a team to make enough noise.

Once again, no trouble with Uber. The driver going to Audubon and the one going to Haddon Heights picked me up in less than ten minutes. No traffic, and both guys were really nice. 

Work wasn't bad for most of the morning. It finally picked up around 1:30-2 PM, when people got in from the Shore and the clouds tried hard to break apart. Ran into trouble when there were absolutely no trash bags in the back; I had to borrow one from the floral department for the front recycling container. They just can't get them right now. The afternoon bagger took over sweeping at 3; he and another bagger helped me with the carts for the last two hours. 

There were several people standing on the lawn of the small 50's-era house at Haddon Heights when the man pulled up to the curb. Turns out most of them were looking at the bottom apartment. The realtor arrived a little bit early, surprised to not see my bike parked out front. 

After I explained the situation with the flat tire to her, she lead me up steep gray-carpeted stairs to a small attic apartment. Like the Manor Avenue apartment, it had low vaulted ceilings and a small bedroom. Unlike Manor Avenue, it also had a slightly larger kitchen and far more closet space. There's a huge backyard and a shared basement with a washer and dryer for each tenant. I like it. It's in a nice neighborhood, and while I'd still have to pay gas and electric (and internet), it's not unreasonable. The realtor and her husband were even nice enough to drive me home.

After I got in, I changed, then ordered a spinach and cheese stromboli for dinner from Phillies Phatties. I was just too tired to do any kind of cooking, and I figured I deserved the treat. Plus, I don't want a lot of leftovers sitting in my fridge for a week. Even the small turned out to be enough for dinner tonight and tomorrow.

Watched the last episode of Hogan's Heroes while waiting for dinner to arrive. It's "Rockets or Romance" when Hogan discovers three mobile rockets are aimed for London...and one's being kept at Stalag 13. While Hogan romances a lovely underground agent giving him information on rerouting the rockets, the others try to avoid radio detection trucks and get word out to England.

And that is that. According to Richard Dawson (Newkirk) and Robert Clary (LeBeau), there was originally supposed to be a seventh season that would have ended with the Allies liberating the camp, but CBS cleared out most of its sitcoms by the end of 1971. Considering its strange and now fairly dated premise, I'm surprised at how good this show is. The writing and performances are much better than they have any right to be. Werner Klemper made such a wonderful Klink, he was nominated for four supporting actor Emmys and won two. 

I will add that I generally prefer the slightly darker later seasons to the goofier early ones. The final few seasons really mine the war setting, especially episodes like "The Experts" that show they're still involved in some pretty harsh stuff, even if there's slapstick along the way. It's honestly worth checking out if you can get past the odd "prisoners in Nazi camp run spy unit" premise. 

Finished the night with dinner and another bizarre premise, the unique 1945 musical Where Do We Go From Here? I go further into this wartime fantasy at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: