Thursday, November 06, 2008

Out and About

No, this wasn't the nicest day to be out running around, but I really didn't have much of a choice. I had counseling at 1PM, and everyone I know was either at work, school, or the doctor's office. Anyway, it wasn't too horrible of a ride. It showered on and off all day, but never so heavily that I spent the day dripping. I brought an old pair of pants that were WAY too big to me to the Thrift Shop and browsed around the store for a while, then went to the Collingswood Library to look up fairy tales to give me inspiration for the Monkees Role Play Lauren and I are currently working on.

After a Turkey Club Wrap at Saladworks, I went a few blocks down Haddon Avenue to Genesis Counseling for this month's session. Scott and I mostly discussed why I can't seem to look for a job and my fear of talking to the other women in my yoga classes. I know he's right and that I should look for what we have in common, but it seems so hard when they all bunch into groups and start talking about their children, and people who don't have children or husbands or decent jobs might as well not exist.

I don't agree with Scott's idea of trying to look into bookstores again for some extra holiday work. First of all, I have enough to do during the holidays without adding more running around. Second, I tried getting a job in the Philly bookstores over a year ago. I kept going back and going back for months. I put in applications with FYE, Barnes and Noble, and Borders. I kept getting told to "come back later." "Come back in the spring. Come back when the College Students return. Come back in the fall. Come back during the holidays. Come back after the holidays." They made it quite clear that they had absolutely no interest in me. I think Scott's wrong. They just want cute little college students who can work for nothing, not someone who needs a paycheck. Besides, I need a job that will last for more than a few months. I need something permanent.

I spent the rest of the afternoon running errands. It rained lightly again after I got out of counseling, but let up by the time I made it to the Haddon Township Library for this week's volunteering session. I organized the children's DVDs and helped several families find titles. One little boy wanted Scooby Doo (and took so long decided which one to take, his mother had to drag him away). An early grade-school-age girl chose Barbie as the Island Princess. After I finished the DVDs, I put the adult DVDs away and stacked children's books that need to be put away on a cart to do later.

It was late at that point and the weather still looked iffy, so I made a brief stop at Super Fresh for fresh carrots and headed home across Newton River Park. I don't think it's rained since then, but it remains cloudy, damp, and too warm for this time of year.

No comments: