Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Storm Cometh

Plink, plink. I began my morning with the sounds of heavy rain on my roof. NOT a good thing. I had early work, and I really didn't feel like asking for a ride at 8AM. By the time I finally got going at quarter of 9, the rain had subsided, leaving dark clouds, heavy wind, and unusually warm and humid temperatures. It just started to rain again as I arrived, but the rain subsided quickly and was replaced by, to everyone's surprise, sun. Every single forecaster in a hundred miles had predicted nasty thunderstorms all day.

Maybe because of the suddenly-spring-like weather, the Acme was extremely busy today, even more so than it usually is on a weekend. We had very long lines all day long, not helped by several call-outs. I ended up having no relief and was lucky it had slowed down enough by the time I left that there were no problems getting off. (My relief had apparently taken her two weeks notice a few days ago, but refused to work the rest of those two weeks. According to several other cashiers, this wasn't the first time she'd quit, either.)

As of press time, we still haven't gotten thunder, at least not that I've heard. However, about an hour after I'd come home from a walk to CVS, it started to pour. And I mean, really pour. I poked my head out to see just how bad it was and to pull down the storm window on my front door. When I pulled back in a few minutes later, I was soaked...and I'd been standing in my own front doorway!

No comments: