Sunday, November 30, 2008

Finishing the Christmas Cleaning

When I first opened my eyes this morning and turned over to look at my bedside clock, I assumed it would say 7:30 or maybe quarter of 9. Instead, it said 9:38...and I had work at 11:30! Needless to say, I did quite a bit of rushing around. After all that, work was steady-to-dead for the majority of the day. I rode to work in the rain, since I didn't really have enough time to call for a ride. It rained all day and I got wet, but oh well. I didn't think I'd sleep that long!

It might have been just as well that the weather was so bad. The rest of the afternoon was spent indoors, finally finishing the pre-holiday cleaning. I vacuumed the apartment and dusted under everything, including my collectibles and stuffed animal display that I usually only clean around. I really need to dust that stuff more often. My collectible teddy bear collection literally had cobwebs! I didn't realize it had gotten that bad.

I watched two of the three Christmas documentaries Linda sent me last year while finishing the cleaning and eating chicken soup and applesauce for dinner. I'm not normally a fan of documentaries, but those are really enjoyable, especially the British Christmas Past, since it discusses many English Christmas traditions that never made it to this side of the Atlantic, like Christmas crackers and Christmas for servants in English manor houses. I think I'll try to watch those every year while cleaning the house for Christmas and/or putting up the first decorations. I enjoy hearing about the history of one of the biggest holidays of the year as I prepare for this year's chapter.

No comments: